ED Issues! Please Help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubsfan24

Reaction score
So i'm a total noob to the board but i know my stuff when it comes to boogie amps.

I just recently bought an Electra Dyne head off ebay. At the first testing the amp was solid, sounded fantastic and couldn't have been happier with my tone. Never turned the master past about 9:00.
I get to my first rehearsal hook it up to my trusty cab and we start running our set.
I turn the master past 9 to about 10:00 and I notice the volume dip and a really squishy compression kick in.
Get it up past 11:00 and the volume returns to normal. As you keep cranking past there it never gets any louder to the ear but the tone sweeps similar to having a wah in the heel position and sweeping to the toe..
First thought was tubes. So I go grab a fresh set of tubes (pre and power)... No fix.

Strange thing is that when you look at the tubes when you are sweeping the master knob you can see them go from light blue to no blue when the volume starts to dip at 10:00, back to blue and visibly see them change to a lighter blue (nearly white) as the master is increased from the 11:00 point. I'm not sure if thats normal or not. And the blue glow only kicks in when you take the amp off standby. They don't quite arc but the glow hits when you flip the switch. Once again i havent paid enough attention to previous amps to see if they did it when i too them off standby.

Has anyone experienced this before?
If so how much did the repairs cost and what ended up being the problem?
When I bought it the warranty wasn't transfered to me but I did contact boogie this afternoon but they haven't returned my call as of yet.

Any insight would be appreceiated

Sounds like the master pot is somehow debiasing the output stage. May be a leaky capacitor or a bad pot.

Recently someone posted that Mesa will honor the warrantee from the build date of the amp if you don't have the original receipt. If you call them with the serial #, they will look it up and honor the warrantee if it was built less than 5 years ago.

elvis said:
Sounds like the master pot is somehow debiasing the output stage. May be a leaky capacitor or a bad pot.

Recently someone posted that Mesa will honor the warrantee from the build date of the amp if you don't have the original receipt. If you call them with the serial #, they will look it up and honor the warrantee if it was built less than 5 years ago.

Thanks for giving me hope that they will. If the serials are sequential to when they were built this is one of the first 30 off the line, So i don't imagine its over 5 years old since the ED has only been out for a couple of years.
They are usually really good about customer service in past situations that I have had but they didn't return my call today. And fortunately i have an authorized tech place fairly local to me.

Sounds like this is a similar problem to what Danyeo1 has been having. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=58037

Something is definitely up here. The other problem I heard about was JeffP, who had a problem getting the clean channel to balance with the crunch channels. (The clean channel was too quiet, no matter what he did) Definitely call Mesa, and hopefully both you and Danyeo1 can get a fix!

Mine is fixed. Triple S in Bloomfield NJ fixed it. I think the issue was the master volume because they weren't sure exactly what the issue was but I told them to specifically check the master because when I touched it the volume would spike. I think they took the matser pot out and cleaned the snot out of it and maybe they touched it up with a solder iron.

Well, I just wanted let everyone know whats been up.
I got in touch with Boogie and they registered the amp to me. It was/is covered under warranty.
Its been in the shop for nearly 2 months and my tech said he can't get it to do anything out of the ordinary.
I really don't know what to do at this point. I spent money on the thing and haven't even been able to play it.
And the seller on ebay, at this point, won't do anything for me because its been so long since I bought it.

Hopefully I will get to play it one day!

Are you sure you speaker cab is 100% ? I see in your signature that you have a Marshall 1960 cab. I have one too and have had several problems with it. The back plate setup and wiring were causing drop outs, but an intermitant speaker voice coil caused some weird problems including volume and tone changes.

I'd probably complain to Boogie. Having the amp sit in an authorized shop for two months while the tech does nothing to it is bullshit. With any luck they'll kick him in the *** to get him to work.

As for the amp itself, the tube glow sounds normal. It has to do with minute amounts of air being present inside the vacuum tube being charged by the electricity. If you play a note you can watch it dance to your playing.

Anyway, to me it sounds like the volume pot may be faulty. Should be an easy fix.

J.J said:
Are you sure you speaker cab is 100% ? I see in your signature that you have a Marshall 1960 cab. I have one too and have had several problems with it. The back plate setup and wiring were causing drop outs, but an intermitant speaker voice coil caused some weird problems including volume and tone changes.

I have checked my speaker cab and cable connections. It has worked fine using it as an extension cab for the little Peavey Classic 30 I'm using as my back up amp at the moment.
I thought about that my self, but I checked the impedance and my cables when it first started doing it.

screamingdaisy said:
I'd probably complain to Boogie. Having the amp sit in an authorized shop for two months while the tech does nothing to it is bullshit. With any luck they'll kick him in the *** to get him to work.

As for the amp itself, the tube glow sounds normal. It has to do with minute amounts of air being present inside the vacuum tube being charged by the electricity. If you play a note you can watch it dance to your playing.

Anyway, to me it sounds like the volume pot may be faulty. Should be an easy fix.

I will be contacting the repair guy today about it and if he hasn't been able to do anything I will be contacting Boogie

Thanks for the extra input everyone.

I know this was a while ago but what was the outcome of this situation? I'm having a kind of similar issue with my electra dyne, and I'm curious what I should do.

Latest posts

Back