single coil limitations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem solved: I took back my custom shop strat to GC & picked up a used John Petrucci signature Music Man. First time I had Dimarzio pickups since 1980. I really like the sound through the express much better with my PRS & Music Man than even the high-end SCN fenders.

No dis to Fender -- I still love the cleans with my stock tele & strats.

I know this is an ancient thread, but just in case others stumble across it I just wanted to add this:
I wasn't too happy with my strat on Express 5:250+ until I dialed it in like this: http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=71825
Now channel 1 sounds just fantastic!

Don said:
The Strat's bridge pickup is notoriously weak. A lot of players won't use it with any amp! I grew up on Strats (I've had close to a dozen of them since buying my first in 1986) and don't have a problem with it. There are a few solutions- one is to use a hotter single coil pickup, another is to put a steel plate on the bottom of the pickup-this will focus the sound kind of like a Tele, you could also install a single coil size (or full size) humbucker in the bridge position (I think this is what the OP needs).

I love my Tele with my Express 5:50. I have a Fralin Blues Special bridge pickup in it which is fatter sounding than a stock Tele pickup but still has some twang. For years I considered putting a Tele bridge pickup in my Strat!

I watched a video of a Clapton concert once where he was using one of his gold Strats and on close up they had a little piece of gaffer tape over the back of the pickup selector slot so he would not accidentally go into the two neck positions.

I replaced the stock PU's in my 2011 AmStd with Fat 50's. The originals were good but the Fat 50's are REALLY good including the bridge which I really only use live as it cuts through the mix but has a little fatness the stocks didn't have.

Back