Rejuvenated 5:25 1x10!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphasports

Reaction score
OK so I recently posted a thread about my bass-less 1x10. I actually had it sold but backed out and decided to upgrade the tubes and speaker since I really like the small form factor. So, I just installed a complete retube from Doug's based on his Express recommendations, plus a new Tone Tubby 40/40 Ceramic. Wow! This amp is a different beast now. Monster low end, great cleans, and everything in between. The upgrade wasn't cheap but a lot cheaper than a new amp, so I'm pretty happy.

BTW some people had said the TT speaker was too big for the cabinet and the reverb tank blocked its installation; this is false. It fits fine. Snug, but fine with zero mods required. You DO need to remove the electronics and reverb tank but that's easy. Took 20 mins.

alphasports said:
OK so I recently posted a thread about my bass-less 1x10. I actually had it sold but backed out and decided to upgrade the tubes and speaker since I really like the small form factor. So, I just installed a complete retube from Doug's based on his Express recommendations, plus a new Tone Tubby 40/40 Ceramic. Wow! This amp is a different beast now. Monster low end, great cleans, and everything in between. The upgrade wasn't cheap but a lot cheaper than a new amp, so I'm pretty happy.

BTW some people had said the TT speaker was too big for the cabinet and the reverb tank blocked its installation; this is false. It fits fine. Snug, but fine with zero mods required. You DO need to remove the electronics and reverb tank but that's easy. Took 20 mins.

ok all good now - I did tell you about the tubes.
Probly didn't need the new speaker but enjoy :)

Definitely needed the speaker, the new TT has like 2-3x the pure depth of the original Eminence, I mean the magnet weighs 3 pounds more.

I'm pretty sure it's the speaker that gave you more bass, not the tubes...but you need a spare set of tubes anyway so it's not wasted money :) enjoy

alphasports said:
Definitely needed the speaker, the new TT has like 2-3x the pure depth of the original Eminence, I mean the magnet weighs 3 pounds more.

Sorry - your 5:25 had an Eminence speaker when you bought it ????
If so - someone had already taken out the original black shadow.
That would explain the lack if bass right there :mrgreen:

Newysurfer said:
alphasports said:

Eminence makes the Black Shadow, so yes, it was a BS speaker in there.

alphasports said:
Newysurfer said:
alphasports said:

Eminence makes the Black Shadow, so yes, it was a BS speaker in there.

No I'm talking about this celestion BS made for mesa
https://mesahollywood.com/products/mesa-boogie-black-shadow-c-90-90-watt-12-guitar-speaker-8ohm

Eminence have never made a black shadow that I'm aware of.
Eminence speakers are known for being bright sounding & light on low end

Newysurfer said:

Lol dude you are funny :lol: what you posted is top nonsense...
eminence has many models, some are bright, some are bassy, some are in between etc.
it's a high quality manufacturer and choosing between eminence or celestion is just a matter of taste and preference...
I run my express through a UK made celestion v30 (which is too trebly/fizzy) and eminence legend gb12 (much more low mid and fullness with awesome bass response) and they compliment each other very well...

Krek13 said:
Newysurfer said:

Lol dude you are funny :lol: what you posted is top nonsense...
eminence has many models, some are bright, some are bassy, some are in between etc.
it's a high quality manufacturer and choosing between eminence or celestion is just a matter of taste and preference...
I run my express through a UK made celestion v30 (which is too trebly/fizzy) and eminence legend gb12 (much more low mid and fullness with awesome bass response) and they compliment each other very well...

Laugh if you want Krek but I never said ALL Eminence speakers are light on low end :)

My Studio .22 came with an MS-something BLACK SHADOW speaker, I think it was called an MS-50 or something.
This was an Eminence speaker (said Uncle Google) which I sold and never looked back.
The Celestion MC-90 is far superior.
Nonetheless, I have become a big fan of low-watt Tone Tubby speakers, they have an unbelievably wide frequency range, bottom to top, and the low-watt versions are loose enough that you get great sustain with little effort.. they break up early and give you that classic e-guitar sound that is missing from the fizzy modern sounds of today.
I have now built a 2x12 and a 4x10 H-Bomb, that is a mixture of alnico and ceramic tone tubbies - my mesa rigs (all four of them) no longer sound "dark," they kick *** with endless effortless sustain, snarly highs and sweet mids.
Excuse me but I have to get back to breaking in my new low-watt Humboldts, they need about 30 or 40 hours to reach their max performance.
I now have 3 H-bomb configurations, and can recommend them highly.
Half Alnico, Half ceramic, and ALL tone tubby.

Latest posts

Back