Operation of the Clean Trim and Gain

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbaron

Reaction score
So I've just got my ElectroDyne, and will post a review after the first gig, but great so far.

I am having some trouble with balance, and after searching all 12 pages here I still cant find a full explanation of the clean and gain trim.

From studying the manual, and a bit of testing, it seems the switch and trim knob at actually totally separate functions. I still cant explain the gain trim, but the clean level trim seems to work with obvious implications, but I am struggling in that is seems to need different levels of trim at different overall volume levels. At home practice, it needs some trim, but at studio volumes (2), it needs a lot more! do others see this difference?

and I still cant tell what the switch does.

Baron

Oh yes, the most awkward of back panel dials when independent master & volume controls would have handily solved both of these problems.

Gain Trim Switch: This changes the relationship of preamp gain between Clean and Vintage lo / high.

Normal = factory presets.

Clean = more gain on Vintage Lo High in relation to the clean mode.

Lo/ Hi = More gain on the clean mode and less on Vintage Lo and High.

So, if you select lo / hi on the gain trim switch, you can more easily clip the clean mode. It allows for Vintage Lo to be an alternate clean tone with Vintage Hi as a darker blues tone.

If you select Clean, you can have a clean tone on the clean mode and you can simultaneously have a rock crunch on Vintage lo and a high gain rhythm / lead sound on Vintage hi.

The clean trim switch can 'turn down' the clean at low volume settings where it will tend to predominate. But, you can't raise the loudness of the clean mode beyond the setting of the master pot.

To get my channel volumes to even out, I set the clean level at max, gain trim at normal, and volume control on front panel to around 2:00-3:00, depending on which guitar I'm using.

Back