Mesa Boogie 2x12 Vertical Slant Half Back

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FXR

Reaction score
I am not sure what this is, but a little reading tells me maybe 1980's possibly, so I am hoping for some help.

It's a 2x12 vertical Slant Half Back. On top where the slant is there is a Black Shadow MC-90 by Celestion at 8 ohms and 90 watts. On the bottom in the closed section is a Black Shadow EVM by ElectroVoice at 8 ohms and 200 watts. It's wired in parallel for 4 ohms.

Anyone got an idea on what it is please?

Pics...

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Well, you have provided most of the info. I think these 2x12's are some of the best sounding speaker cabs out there, especially for the price. You can usually pick them up for ~$350. They sound good with the EV on the bottom, or with MC-90's in both the top and bottom. Not sure when they were made though...

Thanks for the reply, cho. It sounds amazing with my Express 5:25 plugged in. Amazing bottom end and just plain loud! I am running it as the only speaker plugged into the 4 ohm inputs. If I add the built in v30 it will only be 2 ohms.

Awesome + 1

Picked one of these up a month back too. It came with original 50w Vintage speakers, but it now has MC90's top and bottom. Definitely from the '80's.
I also want to know what these were called, model number if there is one.
What speaker options did Mesa release these in?
Why do the Mesa signs on the front appear to be hand painted? Wha

Those are simply Mark series vertical 2x12s. Could have been as early as '84 or so. GREAT cabs!

I've thought about closing off the top section of mine.. To those of you who have done this, what's your thoughts.

Boogie offered a panel to close the top. I have one, and it tightens the bass up, and cuts out some high end.

These came with EV/C90 combination, 2 C90's, 2 EV's, and probably Eminence vintage 50's in the bottom and a C90 in the top.

I think all of the vertical halfbacks were ported in the bottom.

They also came with MS-12's and or a combo of an MS-12 and another speaker, usually the other was an EV 12L

The 2x12 vertical halfback cabs were ported in the bottom, 4x12 halfbacks were not.

Back