Versatile LBX amp head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajvigs

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum, and I am seeking your advice on a lunchbox tube amp head. I have just started playing again seriously, and I need an amp head.

Over the last couple years I have had and sold:
Peavey Valveking 50 watt combo
Mesa Single Rectifier Solo head
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt combo
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange Micro Terror head
EVH 5150III 50 watt head

My musical style has changed over the years. I was a die-hard metal player but now I like to play clean and a little bit of blues, as well as some hard rock and metal. Some of the guitarists whos tones I love include: SVR, Mark Tremonti, Adam Jones, Mark Morton, John Petrucci, and Bill Kelliher.

I am looking for an amp that can cover everything from clean to metal, and be useable at low-wattages. Mesa's have always appealed to me, but my budget is holding me back. What amps out there would you recommend?

Check out some of the Jet City 20 watt heads. I have a JCA22H and I just recently picked up a Jet City Custom 22 head. The JCA22H was designed by Mike Soldano and is in the SLO territory of sound. That being the case, it does rock/metal with ease. It can do "clean-ish" with low pre-gain (like 1) and high post-gain (6 or 7) but even then, breakup is easy to get. The Custom 22 is a stock 22H modified by Martin Kidd for a more British voicing. The crunch channel has more headroom as well as a bright switch for more highs. The overdrive channel has a fat / mid-boost switch for slightly different sounds. The Custom 22 has a warmer, more mid-rangey tone, whereas the standard 22H has a more American high gain SLO tone. Overall, the Custom 22 is a bit more versatile as long as you like a British sound. I am running them in stereo through a 4x12 and the blended sound is amazing! Check them out.

Back