Joining the ED Club

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@YellowJacket: Nice! I am actually waiting for a black enclosure for the head, which I found for pretty cheap on eBay while I was waiting for my amp. The plan is to go all-black. But the tan is kind of growing on me. I don't know. Think I'll be happier with black.

Definitely friendly with LPs and Teles. My SG sounds pretty amazing too, and in truth I don't expect I'll be struggling with any of my guitars too much. I am amazed at how organic and clear the drive is on this thing! It cleans up really well and is super dynamic in every mode. I can even play that famous rhythm guitar part from Love Rollercoaster, Tele/middle position, with gain pretty far up... sounded amazing and clear and snappy. Even more so in that regard than either of my Lone Stars. VERY cool.

I don't think I'll be needing any more amps.

What are you planning on doing with the tan medium head when you swap it for black? **curious**

I much prefer the tan over black personally, but I can understand wanting a black head to match the cab. It's significantly harder to change the tolex on the cab!!

I like the tan 27" head and 1x12 cab setup best. If I could trade my 1x12 combo I would. I like how it looks, it's just so heavy. I love the tones though!

YellowJacket said:
What are you planning on doing with the tan medium head when you swap it for black? **curious**

I much prefer the tan over black personally, but I can understand wanting a black head to match the cab. It's significantly harder to change the tolex on the cab!!

Yeah, I don;'t know... the tan is sort of growing on me, even though it doesn't match. But one way or another I am going to offload whichever one I decide not to use. So... I'll announce it here first.

Anyway, after banging on this thing at home for a few days, I have some findings to report.

1. The amp is AWESOME. I also have a nice old 2204 JCM800, and the ED has the same touch-sensitivity and dynamics that I love about the Marshall. Maybe more so. With the reverb and smoothed out response, it's just a pleasure to play. Feel, feel, feel. Very addictive, just like the Lone Star but in a different way. The low end rumble is so fun to feel in the flooor. Just awesome.

I cannot wait to get this into a band situation, but that'll have to wait a couple of weeks.

2. My amp was used and shipped with Mesa EL34s installed, which I jumped the gun on and swapped out for some Ruby 6L6s... but after some time with the amp, I decided to reload the EL34s that it came with. Something about them. Maybe I'll change my mind after I gig with it a little, but I like the breakup and brightness just a little better with the EL34s.

3. I've been hearing Les Pauls and Teles with this, and that's been my intention with this amp and the project I'm going to use it with. However, I just spent some time with my Strat (a fairly modded American Deluxe with Dimarzio Areas) and it sounded AMAZING with the Electra Dyne! Soooo good! The touch-sensitivity of the amp really plays well with the chime and jangle of the Strat.

4. I really like the Vintage Lo mode. It's a bit dark, but I could see compensating for that with some treble and using it all night.

5. Still really liking my EP Booster with this amp.

YellowJacket said:

Just an FYI, https://reverb.com/item/2169089-mesa-boogie-electra-dyne-medium-head-shell

Latest posts

Back