1X12 recto cabs, how much difference is there?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon2674

Reaction score
I recently got a Mark V 25 and have some questions on the recto cabinets. I am going to get a pair of 1X12 cabinets and because of space constraints the wide body are not an option nor are any 2X12 cabinets. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a dealer in my area with a great selection so my question is how much difference is there between the 1X12 recto vs the 1X12 mini recto and slant? I'm aware that a single 12 isn't going to overcome the laws of physics but I'd like to be able to get some decent low end and am guessing the original has more guts than either of the mini cabinets. Has anyone heard them side by side or heard both of them that could give me an idea of the differences? I'm currently playing thru a pair of H&K TM12 cabinets that are smaller than either straight recto cabinet and I suspect not of nearly the same quality and thickness of wood. The only thing in common would be the Vintage 30. Thanks in advance, I look forward to input so I can make an educated choice and get this thing tweaked. This little head is incredible!

Until last night I had only ever used a 112 mc90 extension cab with any of my mark or caliber combos. The 112 is an open back and pretty much emulates a second combo. No additional bass which is what you are after.
Last night I picked up a 212 slant half back, thanks to another Boogaholic who was willing to part with it. (cheers Aaron). This is one of those vintage cabs with the rear open at the top closed bottom with ports at the front.
I haven't plugging in with my gear as yet, but when he demoed it, straight away I could hear the difference that the ported designs offer.
There are a lot of people on this forum who are fans of the Thiele cabs, now I understand. So if I were you I would try to demo a 112 Thiele with your V25 and see if that is what you need. My 2cents.

Thank you for your reply. The nearest dealer to me actually has one along with the mini recto cabinets so I'll be able to do an A/B on them now. They're starting to get a decent stock of Mesa (thank God).

I really liked my closed back widebody ported with the V:25. Alternatively, a 1x12 recto plus a Thiele is a good option.

The original recto 1x12 is quite a bit deeper than the mini rec 1x12, but they both sound boxy. Having two 1x12 is a lot better than any single 1x12 IMO. Though the widebody is awfully nice.

I ran the widebody on its side to get the V:25 up off the floor a little more.

Also, the local Mesa dealer here is selling a lot of compact recto 2x12 cabs with the V:25. They are having the badges and feet installed at the factory so that it becomes a vertical 2x12 that the V:25 fits on nicely. Really big sound from a quite small cab and amp.

Thank you for the response, that is something that I never gave thought to but might be an option turning a horizontal or a wide body on end. I'll have to take some measurements and see if either option will fly based on space constraints Did the full size 1X12 have better low end than the mini or sound any less boxy than the mini? I'm also actively looking for the older Mesa cabinets with the EV speakers.

The sealed 1x12, even the bigger "full-size" recto 1x12 sound really focused, but very stiff. Not quite as bad as the Mini Rec 1x12, but not much different. IMO small ported speakers sound way better than small sealed.

I'd go Thiele over MR, and I'd go with two stacked 1x12 over a single 1x12. It's not double, it's more like 4x bigger sounding. Thiele + MR1x12 is quite good.

My favorite cab right now is the 2x12 Royal Atlantic. Small-ish for a 2x12, and a great cross between the thump of a closed cab and the extended lows/lively response of an open cab.

I also have a Thiele, with hopes of adding a MV35 combo on top.

Thank you. I really appreciate the replies and suggestions. I'm about 3 hours from a big dealer but may be able to find different cabinets at different smaller dealers (I have 3 within 45 minutes). With the 1X12 cabinets I'll be getting a pair. For the places I play it would just be a fit for my needs. Though with some of the smaller 2X12 cabinets it may be a viable option. I'll just have to see (and hear) them to decide.

Back