Anybody try a Jensen Blackbird with their Heartbreaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIkeChandler

Reaction score
I am thinking of swapping one of the speakers with a Jensen Blackbird, for a bit more vintage alnico type sound - I think it would mix well with the celestion vintage series speaker and get some more authentic blackface vibe.

Has anybody tried this with their 2x12 amp?

First off I do not have a Heartbreaker. But I have stuffed a Jensen Blackbird in a Mark V combo. Note that the speaker has a similar frequency response to the EV speaker. If you get one, you can also get a Celestion 90W Alnico to mix it with. I had though about getting one for the RA100 combo and blending in the Celestion 90w ALNICO creamback, but for now I have something different.

What does work well with an V30 is to pair it with a Celestion G12H75 Creamback. I have two of these in my RA100 Combo and have done the mix with the V30 too. However, since the RA100 is an partially open back cab, the V30 seemed to add too much mudd with the advance in gain, the pair of G12H75 worked the best and sounded comparable to the V30 sealed 412.

I have not heard a Blackbird, but I recently swapped one of the V30s in my 2x12 Maverick for a G12H30 and couldn't be happier. I think the Heartbreaker and Maverick share the same cabinet, but the Maverick has less power so I think the previous recommendation of a G12H75 Creamback is a good bet.

Since I am not too familiar with the sound of the Heartbreaker, thought the G12H75 would be a good fit. If you want ALNICO I would consider Scumback as they make some good vintage style speakers, and some with ALNICO. Just do not get the PVC (paper voice coil) as that has a very low watt rating. You can order the Scumback SC75 in a 30W, 65W or 100W rating. I had considered the Scumback but went a different route with my Mark V.

The G12H75 Creamback is perfect for an EL34 based amp. I have channeled the Mark V though the RA100 Combo and it sounded good. I was not too impressed with them and the Roadster. I have also done the converse, channeled the RA100 to the Jensen and it made the clean channel pristine. It was not too shabby with the Hi/Lo gain channel. Still, my preference for the EL34 and overall tone of the RA100 goes to the V30 (closed cab) or G12H75 (open cab). I have also run both from the RA100 (pair of G12H75) and the Jensen, sounded great but still not the same. Not sure how a Jensen would mix with a V30.

Back