Mesa signature amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea behind it, but will have to hear it before rendering a verdict. Will be interesting to see what happens if this JP-2C delivers "the sound"? If it does, will it slow down the current trend of iic+ mods? I hope it does deliver, it would be nice to see a previous legend come back to life.

After looking at the layout, not sure I like it? I looks like some controls were abbreviated in order to fit everything in? I'm sure a lot of thought and care was put into the layout, but why not make it a little more compartmentalized?

I'm off to see if there is you tube demo of the JP-2C, take care

Hmmm, two IIC+ channels, each can be used with it's own foot switchable EQ. Shouldn't be hard to understand why that would be great. It came to me really easily. Maybe I'm a genius or something. :mrgreen:

The JP-2C has peaked my interests. I prefer a class A/B amp over the Simul-Class power amp of the typical Mark series amps. If I get one, I will still keep my other amps including the Mark V Combo (actually love it now with the new speaker).

Have you seen the transformer.. Like the old days, big, fat and heavy!! Probably the same as in the king snake. That should make it sing..... :evil: :twisted:

kippiejr said:
Have you seen the transformer.. Like the old days, big, fat and heavy!! Probably the same as in the king snake. That should make it sing..... :evil: :twisted:
Yea, not to mention some pant-leg-flapping bass as well! :evil:

This sounds like a cool amp. I've been exploring rhythm tones on my C+ clean channel and low gain lead channel for new recordings, having found a new world of excellent tones! I don't believe a vintage C+ is a one-trick pony by any means, but this turns it into a surgical instrument. I just question whether that degree of precision is really necessary. Perhaps for some; probably not for me.

There's one thing the originals have that the newer Mesas don't: relative simplicity of circuitry. I know tone is what matters most (with reliability a close second), but the new Mesa amps just don't seem to have the same feel as the vintage models. Could be the "aging" of the components or just the simplicity, but everytime I get jazzed and demo a new model, I walk away luke-warm at best. Could be me...

What are you demoing them with? I've played 3 Mini Recs in the store and 2 Mark V25's in the store. None of them sounded nearly as good as mine did at home. And, when I got my new Mini Rec cab and brought it home all excited to play it, it didn't sound as good as my older cab. Now it sounds better. Playing new amps in the store with brand new speakers never allows them to show thier full potential. I think all amps go through a little settling in of parts, but that difference IMHO is probably very minor. The only components that need to be aged to make a new amp sound good, are the speakers. Break them in and every amp sounds better.

Looking forward to hearing it.
What I am not looking forward to is the constant complaining of people that will deviate the course of any conversation on the amp saying that it doesn't sound like the original 2C+ and which, in most cases, have not played either. Let alone played them back to back.

And its MIDI switchable! Pretty nice! Looks like it loses all the mode selects though...(Mark I, etc.). And no individual power selection for each channel... only a global 100/60 Watt setting...

Also, there's a new version of the smaller amp: Mark V:35

Posted by JP's guitar tech Maddi on the Petrucci forum:

"We used the amp for the whole album. It is not the MKV C+ mode. This amp is based off of John's vintage C+ amps which are 60/100 watt. Not Simul-Class.
The Graphic EQ's are independent an can be assigned to any channel.
As a fan of the C+, I am loving this amp.
Maddi"

http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/showthread.php?80632-JP-has-a-new-signature-amp&p=1009636&viewfull=1#post1009636

gpuma said:
Looking forward to hearing it.
What I am not looking forward to is the constant complaining of people that will deviate the course of any conversation on the amp saying that it doesn't sound like the original 2C+ and which, in most cases, have not played either. Let alone played them back to back.

Since it has an A/B power output, the power tubes should have the same bias on them which is unlike the Mark V. I keep burning up the center pair in my amp. Never had any issues like this with the Mark III, Mark IV, Roadster or any of my RA100's. (I know the MKIII and MKIV have similar circuitry to the Mark V but the bias on the center pair of tubes is too much). As for comparing it to an original 2C+, it does not matter to me if it does or does not compare, all that matters is how the new on sounds, its character, etc.... Heck, the Mark V CH3 Mark IV mode sounds better to me than the Mark IV ever did (reason why I no longer have it). I am interested in something a bit different and the JP-2C seems to fit what I am looking for.

if it sounds as good as the c+....does it mean that it will devalued the original?

I think this is really cool. Focusing on one mode per channel reduces parts and cost, reduces compromise that mode switching sometimes needs, and the dual EQ can offer a lot of possibilities. It wouldn't reduce the value of an original, because it's not the exact same thing. 30 years of time is going to make it slightly different, but not a whole lot. Since boutique is now a big business, the parts might even be better.

I wonder if the EQ are in parallel? If so, maybe a Hetfield-type EQ scheme could be utilized for lows and highs, separately, if assigned to the same channel.

cradlefish said:
if it sounds as good as the c+....does it mean that it will devalued the original?

Doubtful. This is now at least the third "modern" Mesa amp boasting a C+ replica. There's more to a C+ than just tone; the originals have a certain feel that I've yet to feel in the Mark V line. The replicas sound great, but to me they feel stiffer and more sterile than the originals. I attribute it to the relative simplicity of the original Mark II circuit. I use the word "simplicity" in comparison to the Mark V.

Consider this: Do you think the original Mustangs or Camaros have dropped in value because the manufacturers have reissued them? Do you think the reissues will supply the driver the same vibe as the original despite being "better" driving machines with modern improvements?

Most importantly, would Steve McQueen look as cool in a modern Mustang?! :shock:

Back