Dilema: Refret Jackson SL2H or sell for Chapman Ghost Fret

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowercasee

Reaction score
So I have a Jackson SL2H that I got new back in the early 2000s for a nice price from GC because the fret ends had lifted a bit. The guitar plays fine, stays in tune, and the intonation / action are all fine too considering. If I pull a high string off the edge, near the head stock or the bridge pickup, sometimes, it will get stuck underneath the frets. It never happens anywhere else. I have debated having the frets fixed or replaced over the years but I just never got around to it for whatever reasons. Lately, I have started to think about getting it repaired again but I also am REALLY digging the new Chapman Ghost Fret guitars. No stores near me have them so I can only go on reviews online, which all seem pretty favorable. If I had enough "gear cash" on hand, I would just get one and keep the SL2H and get it fixed, but that's not happening anytime soon. Now I'm stuck with: Do I fix the SL2H and keep it since I really do like it, or do I sell it and fund most (or even all) of the purchase of the Ghost Fret? Looking for opinions, thanks!

Is it a USA soloist? Because if it is, although I haven't played a Chapman, it's probably gonna be better than the Ghostfret once fixed up. Also, the USA Jacksons will hold their value better.

Yes, it is a USA Select SL2H in transparent blue. Going to call around a few shops and see what a repair or total refret would cost. Since it's a bound ebony fretboard, I am thinking it will be a little more pricey ($300-ish?) than a non-bound one. Still, that Ghost Fret really looks like a sweet guitar. Torn...

Those USA Jacksons are amazing. I have a Japanese Pro Series and it'll probably be about equal to a Ghostfret in quality. The USA ones are well beyond and worth the money to fix up for sure!

Yeah, probably best to get it refreshed and just save up for a Chapman. Been playing the Jackson for the past few hours and it just rocks. Such amazing tone, sustain, fluidity, and speed.

Haha I'm happy to hear! The Jackson is definitely worth keeping! No point in selling a guitar that new was worth several thousand dollars to purchase a relatively cheap Korean guitar, although I'm sure it's a nice axe too. Hope you have luck with refretting and saving up for the Ghost Fret! I know I've been eyeing a few Chapmans myself!

Latest posts

Back