Tone differences when switching the ED reverb off?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtThump

Reaction score
Electra Dyne owners... What differences do you hear in tone when you switch the reverb fully off (bypassed)? I expected to hear more punch and a more pure tone, but to be honest, it sounds more muffled, compressed, and "creamy." I don't like it.

Actually, even with the reverb on (not bypassed), but turned all the way down, it sounds muffled. Im surprised by this.

I've owned the amp for many years, but for whatever reason, haven't noticed this before. Turning the reverb on and up a little brings in a bright "presence" to the tone and I like it much better than with it off.

Other opinions or experiences?

Any tubes need replacing? This is always the first question I ask.

How are things dialed in? The more you turn the volume (Gain) up, the more warmer and bloated the cleans get. They become very saturated, tubby, and bottom heavy.

If you turn the volume down, the tone becomes brighter and tighter.

Mine does the same thing. I find the reverb unusable at very low volumes because of what it adds. From what I remember it becomes better balanced as the volume increases. I don't use the reverb anyway (although I wish there was a way to only use it on the clean channel).

Cant believe i disnt mention this, but i did swap preamp tubes last night after i noticed this. Disnt affect anything though.

I emailed mesa boogie too. The thing is that i like the added "presence" when the reverb knob is around 9 o'clock. To me, it opens the amp up.

Im just confused, because id expect the reverb path to warm the amp ip, not brighten it and give it more punch.

It's been awhile and I'm at work thus can't double check my info, but I believe this is covered in the manual and the factory suggestion is to keep the reverb on to give it a bit more bite or something like that.

It is curious because most reverb amps are known for being darker than the non-reverb versions.

screamingdaisy said:
It's been awhile and I'm at work thus can't double check my info, but I believe this is covered in the manual and the factory suggestion is to keep the reverb on to give it a bit more bite or something like that.

It is curious because most reverb amps are known for being darker than the non-reverb versions.

I read the manual last night and it said that turning the reverb off would give it a more pure tone or something like that. I may have missed some info, though, as I was just skimming it.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!

And yeah, most reverb amps seem to be darker and smoother than non-reverb amps, which is why I'm a little confused about it! I'd rather have the brighter sound that I get with the reverb switch "on" and the reverb knob turned up a little, but without any of the reverb coming through the amp.

Found the answer! Mesa support replied and said that they heard exactly what I described, but only when the master is down really low. And guess what? Yep, I was playing last night with the master really low. Bedroom volumes. I normally play loud, which explains why I never noticed this before.

So there you have it! With the volume up (master at 9:00 o'clock or higher), switching the reverb circuit in and out really only adds reverb and doesn't change the tone of the amp. I mean, it does a TINY BIT, but nothing like what I was saying.

So yay for me! Hopefully, this helps someone else out now or in the future. :)

Thanks everyone.

Chris

Latest posts

Back