MC90's in a Rectifier 2x12 Cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone always says, "Vintage 30's are much better in closed back cabinets than the MC90."
I really do not like Vintage 30's.

Anyone here using C90's in a closed back cab?
Why does everyone say that they do not sound good in closed back cabs? I have looked everywhere and cannot find a definitive reason for this.

I picked up a Rectifier 2x12 today for $200 plus an hour of amp work on a Mark IIb and Mark III.

The cab has Altec 417's in it. They look stellar, but it's definitely not my tone!

I've been on here for 10 years and I don't remember anyone saying MC90s don't sound good in a closed back cab. There's even a couple people here using them in a Recto cab, although I don't remember who.

Lots of people do prefer V30s to MC90s in general (myself included), it doesn't mean they're bad... Just not my bag.

You can probably get a good price on those Altecs.

I remember reading a lot of threads that said Mesa doesn't use C90's in their closed back cabs because they do not sound as good as they do in open back cabs.

I know I read somewhere that someone ordered a 4x12 with C90's though........just can't remember who it was.

I like the Altecs, but it's really not what I'm looking for.

I have 2 of them with V30's in an "X" pattern in my Recto cab and I like how they sound in there, thick and beefy.

I've put C90, G12K85 and Creamback 75 in my recto 2x12 cabs. They all sound great.

I've heard that Mesa doesn't use C90 in closed cabs due do "cone cry", but when I searched for that it was generally attributed to V30.

No clue.

screamingdaisy said:
Didn't the old Boogie cabs have a removable back, so you could run the top sealed or open?

Those had MC90s in them.
I love the half open 4x12's! I used to use one that C90's on top and EV's on the bottom.
Best cabinet in the world....till you gotta move it! :lol:

I installed 2 8 ohm C-90's in my Recto 2x12 last night. I installed a switch so that I can run it in stereo.
Sounds incredible with my Triaxis-20/20 setup! Much tighter and warmer than my Marshall 4x12 with Vintage speakers.

Thanks guys.

MC90s sound perfectly fine in closed cabs, kind of like a milder version of an EVM-12L or 12S or a livelier version of a G12K or G12T. If anything, it's V30s that don't usually sound good in open cabs (because they already have weak and loose low end in closed cabs, and open cabs make this even more pronounced).

I think V30s are the oddball here; MC90s are much more of a solid all-purpose driver.

screamingdaisy said:
Didn't the old Boogie cabs have a removable back, so you could run the top sealed or open?

Those had MC90s in them.

You could get V30's, C90's, or EVM12L's. The option was a closed back ( sealed) or open back, no panel. They were called Halfback's. It costs $20.

The other guitarist has a Mesa 4X12 with C90's, it's thick and cuts through anything, sounds great!

I bought a used Road King cab and the mix of C90 and V30 is great on cleans and high gain.

screamingdaisy said:

Those had MC90s in them.
Yes. I have two of 'em. Even with 2 C90s it sounds fantastic, open or closed top (but I prefer closed).

Back