Finally picked up a Royal Atlantic - sorry I waited so long!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axe34

Reaction score
Finally got a bucket list amp -- I've been gassing for one of these since I first played one a couple of years ago. They were blowing them out at Long and McQuade. I managed to get this guy in a straight up trade for my JVM410 and, so far, I don't have a single regret.

After owning the JVM for almost a year a few things became apparent -- I was only using one mode of one channel. There are 12 modes in total. Second, I was starting to get tired of the high-mid bite it had. Now I understand why some people call it brittle. There are a couple of mods you can do to tame the brightness but after playing the RA for an hour, I knew that was the tone I was looking for. It has a better clean channel too.

I love the RA's simplicity and the power soak works really well.

Recorded this with it - I thought it would be a good showcase of the amp's channels. Marshall 1960 cab with G12T-75s and an SM57 just off the dust cap.

First part > Clean
Second part > Clipped clean using the power soak
Final part > Vintage Lo, with the gain at 1 o'clock

The only effect is very light compression from a Diamond Compressor.

https://vimeo.com/139079161

Here's my isolated guitar.

https://soundcloud.com/jasonballantyne1/santa-monica-raw

Anyway, super psyched -- amazing amp!

Congrats! I love my RA. It means that my Shiva gets a lot less play. Three modes is the way to go.

I find that the features of my Mark V are compelling, but I love the tone and feel of the RA. It has definitely displaced my Electradyne as well.

Enjoy!

The RA100 is one of my favorites.

Oh boy, if you thought EL34 were killer, if you had a set of SED6L6GC give them a try. The Mesa or Ruby 6L6 tubes seem to have a bit of a darkness to them which are better in the Rectifier amps than in the RA100. SED EL34 have to the best I have heard but the SED6L6GC are magic.

I am running mine though a matching os Recto slant 412 cab. I feared it would be boomy when compared to a traditional size cabinet, not at all.

My other favorite is the Roadster. I do not use the Mark V all that much but I still enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back