MARK III SERIAL NUMBERS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Phishfan,
as I mentioned heads are sometimes out of their own stripe range.

Your serial # 1852X can be either:
- purple stripe (1/86 to 12/86): 16657 to 19059
- red stripe (12/86 to 1/88): 18949 to 21863

These colors could get confused as they change over the years (same thing happens between blue and green).
Could you post a picture and also the manufacturing date written with black Sharpie under the chassis?

Thanks
Daniel

My combo stripe is clearly from a lightly swiped blue pen, no touch of any other color: Ser. No. 229##, Simul, Reverb,Graphic, EV, Export transformer, 10/88 on the chassis, and has MB initials in black and a red R under the power cable.

Best sounding Mk I've owned so far: aggressive and thick.

Wyzard,
your blue stripe's serial number and manufacturing date match blue stripe territory.

- blue stripe (1/88 to 5/89): 21825 to 24933
- green stripe (5/89 to 9/98): 24898 to 28386

But Blue Stripes with 60W and 100/60W power amps extend into green stripe territory. All Green Stripes were Simul-Class and fully loaded.

Hope it helps.
Daniel

Phishfan said:
So I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Mk III long chassis with what looks like a red stripe but the serial is 1852#. Any opinion on whether or not it's actually a red stripe? It has the MB initial, SC over the power cord, and an R below the cord. Any help would be much appreciated!
How about a "red stripe" S/N 1815x. That seems like purple stripe territory based on what's listed above and I guess it might be easy to confuse red and purple? The only picture I've seen is dark so it's hard to tell. This one doesn't have the SC over the power cord, just the stripe, and what looks like an R to the right and below the courtesy plug. Bought in '87. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the info David. I did not wind up with that long chassis. The pics of the back that were on Reverb when the seller listed a month or two ago showed no black R around the outlet, then suddenly showed up when it was relisted recently. I'm probably reading too deeply into it, but it was odd that when I asked how the R suddenly appeared, the seller decided that he was going to keep it. Anyways, I picked up a short head 60W red stripe with EQ and Reverb about a week ago. It's awesome. I wonder if there is any difference in tone between the 60W and the 100/60W version set to half power?

My first Mark III was the head version...can't remember any stripe. Serial number is 15924.

My present Mark III is a combo and it's serial number is 226??

Brad737 said:
The serial number is stamped into the plate on the back of the chassis. How do I check for triode wiring?
Thanks,
Brad

kdorsey said:
The serial number certainly strays into the blue territory. Is it stamped into the chassis or a sticker? There are so many examples of "exceptions" to the S/N rules. Price-wise, there's no difference so if it's a good deal, don't let the stripe influence you. Once you have it, if you just gotta know, open it up and check for triode wiring on the power stage.

Sorry to respond late. Here is the best way to differentiate the power stage configuration...

The serial #'s were stamped when the chassis were installed into the cabinet, from what I've heard. There is a chance that the amp was ordered as a purple stripe, and the order was cancelled. It sat on the shelf until another order was placed and the serial number was stamped at that time. Best option is to pull the chassis and check the preamp board revision.

Lucky longtime owner of a Mark 3 Simul class Combo. Serial nr 24436, outer sockets are wired in triode so obvisiously a Blue Stripe. No blue marker above power chord, so a little bit mystical to wich stripe. Wired by Kaydee 2/89 written inside chassis side. Is it usual that many amps didn´t have the marked stripe? Is it other details I can look for to clearly decide my amps stripe mods?

Back