Stiletto vs JCM 800 (with clips)

Ace, Version 1 and 2

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Post Reply
primal
Single Recto
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:09 pm

Stiletto vs JCM 800 (with clips)

Post by primal » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:19 pm

Hate to double post so I will simply post a link to this in the modern amps section.

Boogie board, while awesome doesn't seem to get the traffic it used to.


http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66854
Axe FX II
Mark V 25
JCM 800 2204
Splawn 2x12
Suhr S4
2003 Suhr Classic
1987 ESP Junior
2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard

Gone but not forgotten
Electra Dyne
Stiletto Ace
Road King
Mark IV

abe
Donating Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Waterbury CT
Contact:

Re: Stiletto vs JCM 800 (with clips)

Post by abe » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:53 pm

Thanks for that! I've always been curious about a direct comparison between the two. I personally like the brightness, maybe due to growing up on the 80's guitar sounds.

I was surprised that the Marshall was brighter, but it's a good bright. My opinion is that people think they want that classic Brit sound, but they really don't understand what it actually is.
Mark V Combo
EVH 5150 iii 2*12 Combo
1987 Marshall Lead 12 Combo
Les Paul Studio
Peavey Wolfgang Special
Fender EVH Wolfgang Special Hardtail
Fender EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth
1987 Kramer Pacer
American Deluxe Strat
http://www.rivermud.com

primal
Single Recto
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Stiletto vs JCM 800 (with clips)

Post by primal » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:49 pm

abe wrote:Thanks for that! I've always been curious about a direct comparison between the two. I personally like the brightness, maybe due to growing up on the 80's guitar sounds.

I was surprised that the Marshall was brighter, but it's a good bright. My opinion is that people think they want that classic Brit sound, but they really don't understand what it actually is.
I agree about people not understanding that classic Marshall Sound.

The JTM was not a bright amp, but the Super Lead (1959 Plexi's), VERY bright.

JMP/JCM 2204, touch less bright then the plexi's, but still bright.

I think what it is is you have mostly Mesa guys trying out the Stiletto, and for Mesa, it is a VERY bright amp.

But for what it is trying to do, I think it does it VERY well
Axe FX II
Mark V 25
JCM 800 2204
Splawn 2x12
Suhr S4
2003 Suhr Classic
1987 ESP Junior
2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard

Gone but not forgotten
Electra Dyne
Stiletto Ace
Road King
Mark IV

User avatar
Vigo1999
Donating Member
Posts: 834
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:00 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: Stiletto vs JCM 800 (with clips)

Post by Vigo1999 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:11 pm

primal wrote:Hate to double post so I will simply post a link to this in the modern amps section.

Boogie board, while awesome doesn't seem to get the traffic it used to.


http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66854
Ive shared your link and opened a thread in a forum here in Brazil about those sounds and the guys here are surprised when i say that the amp A is a Mesa.
they alwyas go: "A Mesa?!?!? it's so damn bright!!"

interesting is, when i play alone with my stiletto the treble is always on the 9-12 o'clock range, but if i play along with some CDs that have Marshalls on it (specially Scorpions) i have to bring it up to 2-4 o'clock range to get the same ballpark. :shock:
Amps
Stiletto Deuce
Mark III simul blue stripe
Mark IVA
Blue Angel 2x10' combo

Cabs
Mesa Thiele EV
Mesa Open Back EV
Mesa Open Back VS 12 (2)

Guitars
Gibson Les Paul Custom 92'
Gibson Flying V 02'
Fender Am Std Strat 96'
PRS Singlecut 02'

primal
Single Recto
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Stiletto vs JCM 800 (with clips)

Post by primal » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:46 pm

Vigo1999 wrote:
primal wrote:Hate to double post so I will simply post a link to this in the modern amps section.

Boogie board, while awesome doesn't seem to get the traffic it used to.


http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66854
Ive shared your link and opened a thread in a forum here in Brazil about those sounds and the guys here are surprised when i say that the amp A is a Mesa.
they alwyas go: "A Mesa?!?!? it's so damn bright!!"

interesting is, when i play alone with my stiletto the treble is always on the 9-12 o'clock range, but if i play along with some CDs that have Marshalls on it (specially Scorpions) i have to bring it up to 2-4 o'clock range to get the same ballpark. :shock:
Ha, that is great!

I truly believe if Marshall made the Stiletto, it would be there Flagship amp. But because it was Mesa, you got a bunch of Mesa guys picking them up, and for a Mesa guy it is a bright amp.

Like I said in the post, Amp B, the JCM800 had the presence and treble completely off. The Ace probably around 9:00 for both presence and treble.

I "think" the Scorpion's used JCM 900's on Love at first String. And they are also VERY bright.

If you really sit there and listen to the intro to Rock you like a hurricane, that is also extremely bright.

That is the classic Marshall tone. Bright.

And that is the tone that the Ace is inspired by.
Axe FX II
Mark V 25
JCM 800 2204
Splawn 2x12
Suhr S4
2003 Suhr Classic
1987 ESP Junior
2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard

Gone but not forgotten
Electra Dyne
Stiletto Ace
Road King
Mark IV

Gordybaby
Mark II
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Stiletto vs JCM 800 (with clips)

Post by Gordybaby » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:29 pm

You are correct sir! And if you want to sit in a mix with that type of music it doesnt get any better. I own many amps that I think sound better when its just me and my guitar cranked through a 4x12. But my stiletto live sits in a mix wonderfully and the bass takes care of the low end. It is the best amp I own for classic rock tones live.

boardn10
Mark II
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:18 pm

Re: Stiletto vs JCM 800 (with clips)

Post by boardn10 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:09 pm

Maybe a Stiletto is not for me. I grew up on classic rock and 80s but then I switched to mostly 90s rock and later. I haven't played classic rock or anything from the 80s in many years. Been there, done that. Pretty much all that I play these days is thicker and darker. Some of my favorite bands being Tool, APC, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and STP. Would a Stiletto work for this?

primal
Single Recto
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Stiletto vs JCM 800 (with clips)

Post by primal » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:25 pm

boardn10 wrote:Maybe a Stiletto is not for me. I grew up on classic rock and 80s but then I switched to mostly 90s rock and later. I haven't played classic rock or anything from the 80s in many years. Been there, done that. Pretty much all that I play these days is thicker and darker. Some of my favorite bands being Tool, APC, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and STP. Would a Stiletto work for this?
Stiletto would not be my first choice for that stuff.

It could do it, but there are better choices for that type of thing. Recto being one.
Axe FX II
Mark V 25
JCM 800 2204
Splawn 2x12
Suhr S4
2003 Suhr Classic
1987 ESP Junior
2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard

Gone but not forgotten
Electra Dyne
Stiletto Ace
Road King
Mark IV

wildschwein
Mark II
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:17 am
Location: Alkimos, Western Australia

Re: Stiletto vs JCM 800 (with clips)

Post by wildschwein » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:40 am

The first thing I always did when plugging into a Jmp, a Jcm800 or 900 was to turn the bass and mids to 10 and the treble to 0. Presence was always between 0 and 5. It was the only way to really unlock the meat.

Post Reply