New video! As always, comments appreciated!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumbpick

Reaction score
Howdy!

I finished up another video with my band last week and I figured I'd continue the trend of posting here for feedback! I'm using the same rig as the last one - RA-100 w/ Rectifier 2x12, (1) V30 and (1) Creamback mic'd with SM57's. Other differences:

- New vocal mic - Rode NTK for all three of us.
- Bassist used a different overdrive pedal and mixed it a little differently. Overall sounds smoother to me, but would like to hear your thoughts.

Song is called "Aphasia":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jg3kA894XY

Thanks in advance!
~Nick

Blown away. As usual.
You guys are killing it. The composition, the harmonies, rhythms, guitar tone, bass tone, drummer's awesome, vocals are off the charts good.

Do you have an album? I will buy it.

elvis said:
Is the 2x12 vertical or horizontal?
- Cab is horizontal. You can kinda see it in the video perched on top of my 4x12, but I was only running through the 2x12 for this.
- Also, I lied above about mics. The V30 was mic'd with an SM57. The G12H75 Creamback was mic'd with a Rode NTR ribbon mic.

Hollis said:
Blown away. As usual.
You guys are killing it. The composition, the harmonies, rhythms, guitar tone, bass tone, drummer's awesome, vocals are off the charts good.

Do you have an album? I will buy it.
- Thanks so much!! That means the world! We have a pay-what-you-want EP on Bandcamp, or you can download the same thing from the big boys for standard prices. It's called "Afterglow." For what it's worth, we had a 2nd guitar player for that EP, but all of the guitars tracking was done through Mesa Royal Atlantic heads! :twisted:

http://kindler.bandcamp.com/

The new album is on the way, currently slated for March 2016 release. It is ready to go - just trying to give ourselves enough time to get some press before release.

Amazing piece, really.

Can you share amp settings? I love the intro tone, plenty of grind and presence, but not shrill.

Which Creamback? 12H 75 or 12M 65?

elvis said:
Amazing piece, really.

Can you share amp settings? I love the intro tone, plenty of grind and presence, but not shrill.

Which Creamback? 12H 75 or 12M 65?
Thanks so much!! I'll be happy to share! Hopefully you can see this picture, but I'm on the Hi channel. Also, looks like you can't see the gain too well - it's basically set to 50-55%. Attenuators are on, usually set at the middle setting, or the next to highest setting. In general, I try to keep the per-channel volumes set high and adjust the power soak to fit the room I'm in and the volume level I need, but never go lower than half. The longer I've had this amp the more I've realized how much better it sounds when you let it roar! I leave the power soak off on the clean channel, but it wasn't used in this video. Creamback is the 12H 75 variety. I liked it better in most of the comparisons I found, and it has the same sensitivity rating as the V30 so I'm not noticing any volume difference between the two.

That was amazing! What brand of guitar are you using, the logo was hard to read in the video. I am thinking Carvin but may be something different.

Excellent in every aspect, vocals, drums, guitar, bass, mix, and of course video editing.

bandit2013 said:
That was amazing! What brand of guitar are you using, the logo was hard to read in the video. I am thinking Carvin but may be something different.

Excellent in every aspect, vocals, drums, guitar, bass, mix, and of course video editing.

Thank you so much!! Elvis is right, it is a Suhr guitar. It's actually a Guthrie Govan signature model. I don't normally go for "signature" stuff, but this was one of those stories where I walked in the store, picked it up and played it for 30 seconds, and immediately knew that I had to find a way. Sold all of my other mainstay electric guitars (Parkers at the time) to pay for it.

Pickups are stock:
Bridge: Suhr SSH+
Middle: Suhr ML
Neck: Suhr SSV

It's truly an unbelievable instrument. I play 11's in standard, but they feel like 10s on this guitar. I really never feel worthy of it when I pick it up - kinda like when you put your dad's suit jacket on when you're a kid. :)

This guitar is what inspired my current amp settings as well - those pickups are kind of mid-output, maybe mid-high. Whatever they are, they are incredibly touch-sensitive and beg to be played with lower gain. You can completely adjust your tone just by picking differently. In fact, I basically re-wrote a part for our next video that demonstrates this effect marvelously once I realized how powerful it is.

Thanks again for the kind words!!
~Nick

Very well done. Not my style of music but I can appreciate every bit of musicianship from each one of you. Great harmonies and great job.

elvis said:
I'd love to get a Suhr, but I just got a Tom Anderson. One day...
Yeah, I'm sure that Tom Anderson is a piece of garbage. I also want one of each but I need to sell one of my children for that to happen.

Back