1x12 extension cab - open, closed, 3/4, or ported?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockeydog

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the Boogie Board.
I have decided on getting an Electra Dyne. Closing in on a couple of 1x12 combos in the area.
My question is regarding a 1x12 extension cab for it. I have pretty much searched the entire Electra Dyne category and have gleaned some great information. But there is a lot of it and in many contexts, so I was hoping for a simplification.
I'll be getting a 1x12 combo, I'm leaning towards the smaller cab version.
I play jazz, electric folk, a touch of blues, classic and hard rock up to '80's type metal, and am dabbling in a bit of rockabilly. Need to cover a lot of ground, but each genre's sound doesn't have to be spot on. Have pedals !
Play mostly in a very organized weekly jam with a consistent group of players and singer in a basement rec room type area with a drummer, and a house party or two on occasion - low to medium volume situations.

I like a full, big sound but don't want to get boomy or too boxy.

Here is what I got from searching on the subject;

It doesn't seem like an open back extension would add too much to what the combo already has tone wise unless I used a different speaker than the Black Shadow the combo comes with.
A full closed back might be too focused or boomy sounding.
A ported cab like the oversized Boogie 1x12 might still be still be too boomy or boxy sounding.
An open back oversized might add to the full sound of the combo without being too closed sounding.
The combo is big enough to cover all my sonic territory on its own.

I'd be interested in hearing opinions on how valid the above statements are. Please excuse the newbie-ness of this post, my experience is mostly with modelling stuff that I am ready to leave, so I am new to the tube amp world. Ultimately I know I need to let my ears decide, but getting opinions from experienced players would be valuable for me to at least know where to start. Thanks!

My ED is the 27" wide 1x12 combo version, which is rear ported. It's honestly the best 1x12 cab I've ever used and I much prefer it to the 23" Widebody cabs I have as it sounds a little more natural and full whereas the 23" cabs can be a little boxy.

If I were looking for an extension cab I would get the matching Electra Dyne/Royal Atlantic 27" rear ported cab.

IMO, the rear port is a good middle of the road choice. You get some of the closed back thump and you get some of the open back dispersion.

If portability is a concern the boxiness of the smaller 23" cabs is more of an issue when playing alone. When playing in a band mix they sound very good as the bassist fills in the low end.

+1

The widebody ported is really boomy with the Dyne and a bit too shrill at the high end.

I also like the recto 2x12 with the Dyne, vertical in particular.

Thank you screamingdaisy and elvis for your help! I am nowon the prowl for one. The 27 will work regardless of which size ED combo I end up with.

I have the ED head. I have both the open back 1x12 with the Black Shadow + a 2x12 horizontal cab with V30's.. Talk about the best of both worlds!! It sounds amazing.

I agree with Elvis about the vertical cab but you get a ton of low end BOOM with a horizontal cab sitting on the floor.

Ive used several 1x12 and 2x12's with my Ed 1x12 combo. The Mesa Thiele 1x12 loaded with an EVM simply makes the combo sound even more HUGE than it already does. It easily stands up to a 4x12. In fact it played that setup often against a Bogner 4x12 and sometimes preferred it. But this is with the Thiele next to the Ed combo not ontop of it. Like that it sounds really wide and huge. Right now I have a Stiletto 2x12 loaded with V30's and I can place it next to my combo or put the combo ontop of it. I like it better with it next to it but either way works great.

20150123_002733.jpg

20150116_232653.jpg

I've tried mine with several cabs and my favorite is the 3/4 widebody loaded with a Celestion Sidewinder. Such a wicked little stack.
11872212_1448892408773540_6195870714875532227_o.jpg

Analog Kid said:
I've tried mine with several cabs and my favorite is the 3/4 widebody loaded with a Celestion Sidewinder. Such a wicked little stack.
11872212_1448892408773540_6195870714875532227_o.jpg

That's a sweet room full of Mesa goodness. :mrgreen:

Good stuff, thanks for all the posts!
I did score a 1x12 27" combo with 6L6's. I also found a 3/4 closed back 1x12 cab. Not the matching ED cab ( searched hi and low) but an oversized that matches the combo perfectly. Pics to come. I pulled the Black Shadow and stuck a WGS g12c/s in its place. Very happy with the sound of it and the combination of the Celestion/ Boogie G12-80 and the WGS. They sound fairly close frequency wise but the WGS is a bit smoother and clearer. Unbelievable amp! It's everything I have ever wanted ( within any amount of reason) in an amp. Next up is a possible swap of some tubes - just to experiment of course. Has Boogies now, but I am curious to give something else a try. I have a Mark II as well so the 6L6's won't go to waste. Considering if the expense of Winged C's would be worth it.

I've been using WGS British Lead speakers ever since I got my Dyne. That combination (along with Tung-Sol preamp and power tubes) gave me the tone I've heard in my head forever. Very smooth and creamy. I also use 5751 tubes in V4 and V5. No volume issues at all between clean mode and the 2 vintage gain modes.

Latest posts

Back