Haunted TA15

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonesboogie

Reaction score
Sometimes I believe my TA-15 may be haunted! It will operate smoothly for days sometimes weeks. And something strange out of nowhere starts happening. A few months ago the first channel was cutting in and out,led flickering then it just stopped. Now the second channel red led lights when switched of but then slowly fades and goes completely out. It seems the tone goes with it. What could be the cause? Has anyone else experienced their TA-15 acting strange from time to time? I love the tones I get from this amp. Although disappointed it couldn't be more consistent. I dont think I will ever trust it as a gigging amp.

Sorry, I only read this because I thought this was the name of the new version TA15... :lol: :lol:

Ok, just kidding. Clearly the amp needs either A) Tubes or B) service. You'll get a lot further talking to Mesa than just posting this here. They will help you trouble shoot and see if it needs service.

Get the amp fixed! Great little amp and with it's variety of tones, a gig machine!

Mine just did this, right when I went to start recording on an important project. Gonna have to drop it off in San Mateo I guess for service. =(

Turned out it was power tubes, replaced with el84m from Doug's- working well now and sounding a bit different, in a good way I think.

Hey man, what tubes and different how? I'm thinking of retubing mine specifically to improve the M voice, just for fun.

Dreamtheaterrules said:
Hey man, what tubes and different how? I'm thinking of retubing mine specifically to improve the M voice, just for fun.

Hey bud! The el84m (6p14p-ev) is a serious piece of electronic equipment- they are heavier and thicker than any other el84/6bq5/7189 or equivalent. Their tone is interesting- as compared to the original tubes the el84m has more clarity and a larger sound stage. I get my tone by cranking the Top Boost channel through an attenuator and dialing it down to low volumes, so that's why my original tubes cashed out so fast, and why Doug suggested these over-built beauts. When played by itself the amp might sound a little better with the original tubes since they seem to be a little smoother, but I think I prefer the el84m as it cuts through the mix better, and I mean really well, and no matter how high I crank the amp I can kinda hear the clean note behind every string. Excellent string to string clarity too- in the mix the el84m is just a winner. I plan to still pick up some of the Mesa branded tubes anyway just to be certain.

I recommend creeping up on some of those el84m though- they are actually vintage stout Russian gems at a great price considering. Let me know which way you go and your thoughts on what you end up with please!

Latest posts

Back