Mark III preamp tubes.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For heavy shred everything:

V1 - The nicest, sweetest tube you own.
Everything else - choice high gain chinese tubes. 12AX7B's, and silver specials from the 80's.

I am going to try a GT tube that I have identified as a JAN GE 12AX7WA in the number one, and the Chinese square getter dual post ones in everything else.

Will advise

SonicProvocateur said:

Everything else - choice high gain chinese tubes. 12AX7B's, and silver specials from the 80's.

I got alot of old Chinese 12AX7's How can you ID it if it is a Silver Special?

DJPattP said:
SonicProvocateur said:

I got alot of old Chinese 12AX7's How can you ID it if it is a Silver Special?

On the silver specials, ALL of the visible internal components look like they are chrome plated.

I run a mallard in V1. Makes my purple stripe scream. LPS in the PI and Chinese in the rest. Ive owned 2 Mark IIIs in my days and both were extremely picky about preamp tubes. This cocktail worked best in both of them for my ears.

What should I put in v1? is Tung-sol good? Or something like mesa's SPAX7?
I'm currently using JJ ECC83S.
If I put a "high gain" 12ax7 as phase inverter, how will it affect the sound?
Has anyone tried Sovtek LPS in v5?

EDIT:
Nevermind, I put tung-sols in v1 and v3 today. I hear improved sustain and overtones, brighter/more clarity, and more cut. But there is slight decrease in gain, and the bass isn't as punchy/tight.

89 Green stripe simulclass w/GEQ, I play hard rock and metal.
Right now I have Winged C 6L6's
V1: TAD 12ax7
V2: 12ax7EH
V3: Tung Sol 12ax7
V4: Tung Sol 12ax7

Before that I had Tung Sol in V1 and V3 and EH in V2 and V4. First thing I noticed was the high end was rolled off slightly, took some of the hair off which I liked. The low end was also bigger, wasn't getting mushy at all, felt like it was pushing more air. I haven't experimented much but just from this little bit it was definitely a good upgrade.

Latest posts

Back