Was going to buy RA-100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryswanson

Reaction score
I was going to buy a Royal Atlantic but have read the rumours of a Version 2 coming out. Now I'm torn between waiting for a new one that might not even exist and missing out a new current one. Not really a fan of buying used gear. I buy for keeps. But oh ,the predicament I'm now in????

WHAT HE SAID! I haven't exactly seen these amps selling like gangbusters - certainly nothing like their staple Rectifier/Mark lines. I'm afraid that there will not be a V2, which is upsetting because I don't know what I would do without this amp. It has the most usable clean tone on any Mesa I have ever played - at least for my style. The voicing of the distortion is wonderful as well. For me, it's like the perfect mix between a hot-rodded Marshall and the iconic Mesa amps.

Even if they come out with a new version, I can't see how you'd be disappointed with your purchase if you own V1!

In a week or two, I'll be posting a new live video w/ my band where I'm trying it out with a blend of V30 and Creamback 75 - we also snagged a new Rode NTR ribbon mic which was on the Creamback. Really anxious to see how that turns out.

There's nothing out there quite like the RA in terms of all-this-in-one-box tonal palette even if it's not perfect in an engineering sense (they have included a reverb and an fx loop which don't work very well.) If you are a good technical player who's seriously picky about tone and leans towards guitar-cable-amp with maybe an overdrive in there it's a very rewarding piece of gear.

When I was purchasing my new amp I was torn between the RA 100 and the Mark V. I did finally choose the Mark V mainly due to the mark V having 3 complete channels. My plan was to pick up the RA 100 a few months later. Then I notice that the RA 100 is discontinued. But I also heard that there was a new version coming out.

So we shall see if the rumor is true.

I was going to bid on one on ebay that expired yesterday but figured I was wasting my time since I only had about $850 in paypal.

It sold for about $800 shipped. :shock:

I never understood the fear that a new amp will come out. If you like the amp, buy it. Invariably SOMEONE will release a new amp that you will like. A V2 RA may be great, may be meh. May never happen.

With the low prices on the existing RA, how can you wait on the sidelines if you like the amp?

Actually it is difficult sitting waiting. If what I have heard and what has been hinted at is true then the RA 2 may be exactly what I have been looking for in an EL-34 amp. I have been looking at the Friedman BE-100 for the EL-34 sound. I have a very nice sound with the amps I have, my Mark V cooks some very nice tones. I mean really most of anybody's tone/sound is in their hands anyway.

Yes I want an RA. If I don't see anything come out of Boogie in the next few months I may pick an RA up from eBay. I am in the mood for a new amp so maybe a Friedman or possibly a Dr. Z Wreck are in the cards.

Then again maybe Boogie is cooking up something totally new. The deal is I'm working through the gigs I have scheduled over the next few months. Workin full time and gigging 3 out of 4 weekends every month is kickin my butt. So I'm looking forward to a little break, new amp, maybe a new guitar and some writing/recording time.

The RA is a sick amp. I am just starting to get it dialed in.

I don't even know what Mesa could do with a V2 that would be interesting to me. The only features I'd like would be a separate boost and a real footswitch with reverb and boost on it. I can't figure out why the V and Roadster get a monster switch while the RA gets a dinky half-assed thing. But I actually get those features via my G System anyway, so...

I hope that the "Hi - Lo" is made into two complete channels. So the RA is a complete 3 channel amp but keeping everything else. From what I have heard consumer interests are looking in the direction of the EL-34 based amps but with more than 2 channels. Also with more flexibility in adjustment per channel.

For myself I would not consider a Marshall amp due to quality inconsistencies I have been seeing. Lots of plastic is beginning to creep into Marshall amps. I really like tube amps but trying to figure out what amp is or is not all tube makes me loose interest. Also in my opinion when a company starts producing different quality grades of equipment, poor quality overall is the general direction of the products produced. I also like an amp that if I feel like it I don't need to have any drive pedal or other effects. Just plug the guitar in and get to work. Both my Mesa amps have been used many times dry, pedal-less all night long.

Something that would be very cool would be if the RA was in a short form to fit on the 2x12 vertical cabinet. I like the sound of the 4x12 but stage space is many times an issue a 4x12 is just big (especially at 2am after a gig). The 2x12 vertical cabinet has a much smaller footprint, although I do own 2 of them...So when I can I do use them both split on either side of the stage.

I love my RA-100. It is perfect for vintage tone. This amp will cover most of the 60's to the 80's in the Hi/Lo channel. ACDC never sounded better though the RA100 though I am not verse in all of their music as I am learning a few songs. I would not stop there either as it works well with the heavy stuff too. As for the clean channel, it is unique for Mesa. It seems to fall between the tweed of the Roadster and the FAT clean of the Mark V. I can get lost in the clean channel as it serves quite well for clean to crunchy (depending on gain setting, also if you have the power soak on it is just interesting what character the clean channel will get). I bought mine used but wished I bought new since the previous owner chipped out the key way on the ceramic sockets of the power tubes (must have been trying to shove something else in there). As for functionality and performance, it has yet to disappoint me. I bought the Roadster afterwards since it was what I originally wanted but came home with the Mark V (not my favorite amp but now does sound less ice picky than it did when new)

I do like the EL34 in the RA100, but, I really love the 6L6GC (I currently have SED6L6GC, WOW!) I will use the power soak at times, but prefer the full power modes.

I went through a fair number of amps replacing my old 100 watt head and 4x12 monster. I fell in love with the RA-100, by far the sweetest tones, volume flexibility and sensitive to how you play/pick. I since am down to just an ep booster and tuner on my board and can get so many sounds with just three channels and by selecting pickups (PRS custom22) and volume knob. Makes you feel like a real guitarist. I would buy another if I got a chance as a back up. It is my amp and the sound/tone I have been searching for.

Good Luck,

JamieD

PS - I run in through a 2x12 RA cabinet

I finally decided to install Mesa EL34's. Had them in before but they rattled. Turns out I have a loose ceramic socket on one of the power tubes. Bummer that a previous owner attempted to enlarge the peg holes. I was able to correct the rattle issue and the amp sound really good with the stock tubes. Using either Tung Sol EL34B or Mullard EL34 the amp is much louder. The Mullards saturate quite well. Overall, the Royal Atlantic 100 is a spectacular amp without all of the frills some of the flagship amps have (reference to Mark V or Roadking II). It does not matter if I use EL34 or 6L6GC as the amp will retain its primary tone. I really enjoy every channel.

If you can find one in great shape, GO FOR IT! It may seem limited based on number of channels, it is not. Also one of the easiest Mesa amps to dial in. With neutral settings (tone controls at 12'oclock) the clean channel will be bold and deep, Hi/Lo channel is bright. Just a tweek of the treble control on both channels and you can tailor your sound. The reverb on the other hand will saturate and compress the signal if you set too high. It sounds great with lower settings. You can also defeat the reverb with a rotary switch on the back (all, Ho/Lo, or on). One thing I find interesting about the RA is that the clean and gain channels use separate tubes for the gain stages. No common tube chain or ladder type gain structure. This amp is perfect for classic rock and is not all that bad with heavy style chugging. It may fall short on the bottom end when compared to the Roadster modern settings (CH3, CH4) or the Mark V CH2 cruch, but it performs quite well where the other two amps fall short (classic rock and blues). This amp should have gotten more attention than it received. If Mesa has plans to bring it back, I hope they leave out the simul-class and preserve the Class A/B power amp. I believe that is one reason why I favor the RA100 and Roadster over the Mark V.

I am pleasantly surprised by the RA100. Got a demo model stupid cheap from Mesa Hollywood, just because I was bored. I have 3 IIC+'s and 3 Rev F Recto's here too. The RA has a really nice grunt and clarity to it with too much sag and saturation. Sounds great with 6L6's too. And, really kicks *** with a 5 band EQ in the loop.

After trying a ton of different amps, buying and selling (owning both Mark V's and RAs multiple times, even tried out the PRS Archon) I've finally settled back on the RA. At the end of the day my issues with the RA were all guitar/pickup related and not the amp. With the right guitar it sounds good on any setting and is super dynamic. It does the high gain thing, but the saturation is so organic yet still retains a nice tight low end. Not that you need them, but it takes pedals well (the ones I've tried), and the cleans are ridiculously good. It offers a lot of versatility and features many other amps in its class do not. I'm super happy with it.

A V2 RA intrigues me if it is in fact a possibility. I wonder what direction they would take it? They most likely will change the voicing of the drive tones to contain a more glassy top end response, they should leave the cleans alone considering how much people rave over them. Whether it's true or not it's fun to dream, but as of right now I'm super happy with my RA with no intention of letting it go. The only amp I would consider switching out with IS an RA V2, and only if it is notably, significantly better.

All that said, buy one. You won't regret it.

I love my RA, though I'd really like a smaller, lighter form factor. A 50W version that sounds essentially the same but has a bit less weight with two rows of knobs to get into a 23" or narrower size would give me a lot of flexibility for gigging with different cabs and not hurt my back quite so much.

They did forget to mount the casters on the head by the way. Blame it on the huge OT. If it was an ultra light, it would not be a tube amp. A 50W option would be kind of cool.

bandit2013 said:
If it was an ultra light, it would not be a tube amp.

I get that, and most of what I love about the amp comes from the fact that it is big glass/iron. I don't want ultra light so much as just not ultra heavy. Dropping 4" of width and 10lbs would be a big deal. Sure, some guys want the look of a full-size head on their 4x12, but not me. It does look great sitting on the RA 2x12 cab, though :twisted:

The only single pair big bottle Mesa amp currently is the Express 5:50 so hopefully there is something coming in this size and with EL34.

I would really like to replace my Express 5:25 with a similar in size and weight to a 5:50, like an RA-50 8)

Latest posts

Back