The Mark IV thread....!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you could help me out. I just got a Mark IVA and I had a question about the FX Loop. I'm running a noise supressor in it and I only want the loop activated on the LD channel. Is there anyway to make it so it'd work like that? Which loop would I use, the normal or switchable? Thanks for any help!

+Mike+

It's here, it's here!!! Mark IV in the house!

With all of the shipping damage horror stories I've been reading, we both decided it was best to go 2nd day air. The amp got here safe and sound - also due to a great packing job.

I just got it delivered to my work, so I didn't get a chance to plug it in yet, but I will tonight. It's got the 6V6s in there right now and the 6L6s are on the way. It's not as heavy as I thought it was going to be, but it isn't light either. Very solid. I usually bear hug it anyway instead of using the handle, so that helps. I turned all the controls to make sure they worked and pushed/pulled as well. It's so cool how the footswitch mounts to the back! I even got the original receipt from '96. It shows the color as burgundy and it's a bit darker in person, which I like.

Can't wait to fire her up tonight! Weeeee-doggy!!!

phantomlord2oo said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you could help me out. I just got a Mark IVA and I had a question about the FX Loop. I'm running a noise supressor in it and I only want the loop activated on the LD channel. Is there anyway to make it so it'd work like that? Which loop would I use, the normal or switchable? Thanks for any help!

+Mike+

normal...and switch the lower of two fx loop switchs down so it's on lead...now when you switch rhy1/rhy2 the fx will be off and when you hit lead it will turn on automatically..

Got a chance to turn some knobs and check this little monster out. It really is a versatile amp. It's hard to find an amp that can do classic rock and all out metal and still sound great. I'm not sure if I like the EV yet, but it could be because it's in the combo. I hooked it up to my 2x12 cab, and it was tight and huge sounding. I was about to sell the cab, but now I'm definitely keeping it. I can't wait 'til my 6L6s get here!

I think I spoke too soon about the weight. It's a tank! I'm thinking of trying a Celestion Century. Anyone ever try 'em? What other speakers do they compare to?

UsrName said:
Got a chance to turn some knobs and check this little monster out. It really is a versatile amp. It's hard to find an amp that can do classic rock and all out metal and still sound great. I'm not sure if I like the EV yet, but it could be because it's in the combo. I hooked it up to my 2x12 cab, and it was tight and huge sounding. I was about to sell the cab, but now I'm definitely keeping it. I can't wait 'til my 6L6s get here!

I think I spoke too soon about the weight. It's a tank! I'm thinking of trying a Celestion Century. Anyone ever try 'em? What other speakers do they compare to?

That's why I like heads. :wink: Never tried the Century. At this point I doubt changing speakers is going to save that much weight, the tonal trade offs may not be worth it. Alot of people seem to like the V30's with mesas. I've got a 2x12 with V30 and G12h30 and it sounds great. Good luck and as long as you got casters that should save you some lifting.

I thought about the head, but I like combos. I don't know why, but I just do. When I tried it out at my local dealer, I made sure to lift it to see how heavy it was. But that one had the C90 and wasn't a problem for me. I really won't be transporting this beast that much, anyway. If I was still gigging every weekend, I most certainly would have gotten the head. Once I get a C90 in there, it should be ok.

I have a pair of XXX speakers in my 2x12 cab that I got from Soulcrusher for my JSX, which complemented it greatly. Supposedly they are V30 copies, but they seem a bit smoother to me. I really liked the sound of that cab with the MKIV.

the gibson std p/u's are so good...i have a ibanez jem as well Evo's i am thinking of changing to soming less trebley and more sweet...paf pro,steve's special or breed..

PRSKILLER said:
What's everyones favorite pickups with the Mark IV?

I'm using the stock HFS/Vintage pups in my PRS. They seem to compliment the MKIV well and the HFS is pretty **** hot. I want to get a guitar with more paf type pickups as well for a different tone.

PRSKILLER said:
What's everyones favorite pickups with the Mark IV?

For humbuckers, I like the sound of my Dragon IIs in a CU22. My favorite tone so far, though, comes from my SRV strat with Texas Specials. Just something about that guitar and my 1x12 widebody Mark IV.

I have a question about my mark IV, i know i should have a different settings with my mark IV in low and high volumes, but i love my tone that i'm getting at low volumes so dearly and i cant seem to get the same gain texture on high volume! my distortions gets kinda muddy and im getting lost in the mix in a band rehearsal volume! my question is, starting off from my settings on low volumes, which knob should i decrease first? the gain? treble? or the fat or bright switch?

what switches/knobs are in the back on the short head that are on the front on the medium head?

Also does the wide combo resemble the medium head and the short head resemble the compact combo, with the switch/knob config?

Whats a fair price for a used Mark IV head? I just missed one on ebay, rack mounted for 1026.00. But thats ok because Im laid off and cant afford it anyway ;-) Im finding my single recto is not the sound Im after. Id like something a little tighter.

dave-o said:
Whats a fair price for a used Mark IV head? I just missed one on ebay, rack mounted for 1026.00. But thats ok because Im laid off and cant afford it anyway ;-) Im finding my single recto is not the sound Im after. Id like something a little tighter.

I had the Dual and Single Recto and now that I have the Mark IV it is everything I was trying to find from the Recto series. The Mark IV is one killer amp, it does it all and having 3 channels is nice compared to the 2 channel Solo 50.

willrock said:
I have a question about my mark IV, i know i should have a different settings with my mark IV in low and high volumes, but i love my tone that i'm getting at low volumes so dearly and i cant seem to get the same gain texture on high volume! my distortions gets kinda muddy and im getting lost in the mix in a band rehearsal volume! my question is, starting off from my settings on low volumes, which knob should i decrease first? the gain? treble? or the fat or bright switch?

In a band setting at higher volumes, backing off the gain slightly may help you cut through better. Also, you may want to just keep the same settings and switch to full power if you are running in tweed mode like I do for lower volumes. I find full power helps you cut better. So many options really.

Has anyone played the Mesa 1x12 3/4 back cab? I'm wondering how it compares to the 2x12 version of the same cab and also the Thiele.

It seems like it would have a great bass response because it's the same size as the 2x12, but only has the one speaker.

I'm looking to get that great low end thump when doing some palm mutes or single note runs. Not sure what cab/speaker combo to go with.

I have a regular 2x12 closed back cab right now, but I'm looking for a "fuller" 4x12 sound without actually getting a 4x12. I'm considering these to go with my combo:

Mesa Thiele cab w/ EV
Mesa 1x12 3/4 back cab w/ C90
Mesa 2x12 3/4 back cab w/ C90s
EarCandy Sovereign 1x12 cab (Thiele type) w/ EV
EarCandy Buzzbomb 2x12 cab w/ ???

I'd like to keep the size close to a 1x12 and all I know is that I want to take the EV out of the combo and put it into a cab.

i think the best 2x12 that sounds like a 4x12 is a mesa recto 2x12....the 1x12 is ok but up again a 4x 12 it push's nowhere enough air....still sounds great but no good for heavier stuff....i use my 1 x12 cab for jazz and blue and light rock...but when ever i can i use my 4x12...thats my sound...

i just want to tell than im a futur owner of a Mark IV ... i can't wait to get this amp.

I had a Single Rectifier in the past ... but i think the mark IV will be all i search for years

:)

Latest posts

Back