Is Bias Mod Hype?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having used THD amps for many years that are very easy to set the bias at different amounts I found in general setting the bias more cold works great if you are cranking up the power amp to louder volumes. Think band or louder. When playing at lower volumes I much prefer the bias set warmer. Think bedroom volumes or a little louder.
This is all a matter of taste and is effected by the other gear I am using and the texture & color I am trying to achieve.

Gordybaby said:
I think because of the Internet people spend way too much time playing amps, tubes, speakers, pedals, ect instead of playing guitar. There are plenty of players out there who have thousands of dollars in gear and can't tell their guitars is out of tune. But back to your question. Yes it makes a difference. And you can use any brand tube you want. I did mine myself and it works fine. It makes a subtle change in tone and feel but your money is better spent on speakers and cabinets. That has had the biggest change I have made to my setup as far as basic tone improvement. If you like the way your amp sounds that's what really matters.

Gordy,

what speakers and cabs are you referring to ? im running a couple vertical 2 x 12's with mine any recommendations ?

thanks,

Joe

My main cab is a stoneage 2x12 C loaded currently with WGS 65s. I also own a matchless 4x12 that has there treated 30 watt celestions speakers in it that sound really good with this amp, but is ungodly heavy and awkward take to shows. I have rotated a pair of Celestion creambacks 65 and greenbacks but I prefer the WGS 65 best.

I think the one piece of information that is being glossed over is, 'in Bold, Solid State rectifier mode' the bias could be close to what most would consider good enough, but this changes as soon as you switch to Spongy/tube Rectifiers.

What really needs to be pointed out is the bias resistor values need to adjust as you make these other mode changes.

Getting a bias reading of 40ma for each of the above changes would give you the sounds of vintage amps, and probably the best tones. My guess is the Mesa didn't do the because you could potentially red plate your power tubes by switching back to Bold or diodes and send too much current, causing problems, without having some sophisticated switching being done also, (*doing this manually could be a warranty nightmare).

Actually having the option to run the power section 'hot or cold' would be pretty cool. A hot bias loses some articulation in a band mix. Fast picking, tapping and finger picking stands out better in a band setting with the bias a little colder. The Soldano SLO is a great example, as are the Dual Rectifiers.

My problem is I don't want to take out multiple amps, to the gig, so compromise is the only option. And if you think about it that is the reason channel switchers were developed, to give us variety during a show. A single channel amp that does ONE sound very well will always trump a chance that does 2 or more sounds pretty well. But, most guitarists want Fender Twin or Vox cleans, JCM800/tube-screamer leads and Dual Rec rhythms, in one amp, oh, and with a solo boost too. Well, that's what I want too.

Chasing the Tones in you Head can cause madness, but we all do it.

Latest posts

Back