Dumble/Robben Ford Tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to use the EQ and blues/burn channel to dial in a close Dumble lead tone ? Thinking something close to this...with that mid range "chirp" that's so signature to the Dumble ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te9gu-hmGzg

Hello!

I have tried to get this Dumble sound on my Mark V and I have got real close.
I also have a Wampler Ecstacy (now it's called Euphoria) overdrive and with this pedal I got even closer for that good Dumble sound.

2B

I use a Zendrive on the Blues channel. That gets me pretty close, at least as close as my hands and guiter will let me... :lol:

Al

Turning the gain down to 9 o'clock on the burn channel is tauted to be Dumble like. I generally run clean and blues both with gain around 10 o'clock, just where they both start to warm a little. Have Zendrive but never bonded. Have a Wampler Euphoria as mentioned above on the board and is use it for higher gain in the smooth setting, the Dumble setting and great tones to be had. Recently got a Simble pedal and at mid to low gain getting what my ears say is VERY Dumble like. REALLY liking this pedal.

BeerBatteredPhish said:
Has anyone been able to use the EQ and blues/burn channel to dial in a close Dumble lead tone ? Thinking something close to this...with that mid range "chirp" that's so signature to the Dumble ?

soooo you've posted a youtube video and are asking if an unspecified amp (presumably a mesa) will produce tones "close" to this video.
answer is no - no amp can produce the lo-fi tones of that youtube video or any youtube video.
Robben Ford's Dumble didn't even sound like that video at the concert.
That's the nature of youtube vid's - they change the tone of everything.

Unless you've seen Mr Ford (or a few other musos) live no-one will have heard any Dumble live.
And very few of those would have known what amp he had or cared
And I'm advised that every Dumble made sounds different - and there's only a few 100 in existence.
So your Q has no answer imo and if someone says yeah sure my mesa sounds like that - I wouldn't believe it for a second hehehe.
If you want dumble tones pay the $60,000 for a used one or up to $100,000 for a new one

Newysurfer said:
BeerBatteredPhish said:

soooo you've posted a youtube video and are asking if an unspecified amp (presumably a mesa) will produce tones "close" to this video.
answer is no - no amp can produce the lo-fi tones of that youtube video or any youtube video.
Robben Ford's Dumble didn't even sound like that video at the concert.
That's the nature of youtube vid's - they change the tone of everything.

Unless you've seen Mr Ford (or a few other musos) live no-one will have heard any Dumble live.
And very few of those would have known what amp he had or cared
And I'm advised that every Dumble made sounds different - and there's only a few 100 in existence.
So your Q has no answer imo and if someone says yeah sure my mesa sounds like that - I wouldn't believe it for a second hehehe.
If you want dumble tones pay the $60,000 for a used one or up to $100,000 for a new one

Well, I posted in the Express Series forum, thus I own an Express. I was looking for some ideas IF the Eq and use of the blues channel were getting folks close. I'm not that stupid to know a $1300 amp is going to sound exactly like a DUmble. And yes I've heard Dumbles live. Actually worked a stage crew job in the 80's and helped set up Rick Vito's Dumble when he was in Jackson Brown's band

BeerBatteredPhish said:
Newysurfer said:
Well, I posted in the Express Series forum, thus I own an Express. I was looking for some ideas IF the Eq and use of the blues channel were getting folks close. I'm not that stupid to know a $1300 amp is going to sound exactly like a DUmble. And yes I've heard Dumbles live. Actually worked a stage crew job in the 80's and helped set up Rick Vito's Dumble when he was in Jackson Brown's band

And Ford uses a Fender Twin with a Zendrive to get his "Dumble" tone when he is touring.

I've gotten close to my ears with my 5:25+, 9 o clock on the burn channel with the 700 freq boosted slightly. I play Gibson style guitars mostly do that also helped get that sound. I have a Zendrive red but haven't tried it yet, I prefer a AM TS808 with the Mesa too. Very versatile amp!

Pretty much every Dumble is built for the guitarist in question and most are unique in one way or another, I,m lucky enough to own a hand built clone of 183 with a few mods, I also own a express plus, 2 totally different amps, I can get close to a generic dumble type tone but if that's what you want then a clone is the way to go or pray you can afford AD,s extortionate prices, a good source of info is the ampgarage, pedals can get close but the fact is the Dumble tone is down to a hand built amp and the guy it was built for

jestaudio said:
Pretty much every Dumble is built for the guitarist in question and most are unique in one way or another, I,m lucky enough to own a hand built clone of 183 with a few mods, I also own a express plus, 2 totally different amps, I can get close to a generic dumble type tone but if that's what you want then a clone is the way to go or pray you can afford AD,s extortionate prices, a good source of info is the ampgarage, pedals can get close but the fact is the Dumble tone is down to a hand built amp and the guy it was built for

I'll add to that hehe.
given there are only about 100 Dumbles in existence how many people have ever heard one live.
10,000, 100,000 people over the past 20 years.
How many people have ever played a real Dumble?
I'm advised every Dumble sounds different & are built for individual players at $100,000 each.

Does a dumble clone sound "close" to a Dumble - how would anyone but an existing real Dumble owner know?
Which Dumble, or who's Dumble does it sound "close" too?
What does close mean - your close is my totally different.

Same thing with alleged Dumble pedals or Dumble anythings.
Have any of the people who chase the shadow of Dumble tones with clones & pedals ever actually heard a real Dumble.
I'd be surprised if any have.

I've never heard a Dumble, a Dumble clone or an alleged Dumble pedal.
They might sound great but who knows if they sound anything like a real Dumble amp - only real Dumble owners would.

People chasing shadows is a gift for marketing scammers.
If someone mentions Youtube video's I'll burst out laughing hehe :mrgreen:

There's a few lads around that have not only managed to get up close and personal to a real dumble but figured out what makes it tick as well, I,ve heard the real thing and can get pretty close the Ford sound but not being Ford its close only, the long and short is you will only get the generic Dumble inspired sound, which to be fair will be enough for most peeps.
I understand on one level why folk chase the sound but Govan when doing a workshop many years ago said its far better to chase your sound than become a clone of someone else, I can't disagree so I tend to sound like me no matter what amp I play :)

jestaudio said:
its far better to chase your sound than become a clone of someone else, I can't disagree so I tend to sound like me no matter what amp I play :)

Bingo!! :mrgreen:

Al

jazzphan89 said:
I've gotten close to my ears with my 5:25+, 9 o clock on the burn channel with the 700 freq boosted slightly. I play Gibson style guitars mostly do that also helped get that sound. I have a Zendrive red but haven't tried it yet, I prefer a AM TS808 with the Mesa too. Very versatile amp!

Considering you've been the only person to offer some useful personal advice, I say "thanks". I've spent some time with your burn channel at 9 oclock setting and various tone stack and EQ flavorings. Close enough in my book. It gets me in that sharp upper mid presence and when I hit the wound strings hard, I get that faint chirp that I hear in Ford's tone.

To the others, spare me - I'm well versed on the history and "mystique" of the Dumbles.

I,m a little puzzled, I pointed you in the direction of the guys who probably no more about Dumbles, how they are built and how to get the Dumble sound including the likes of Welagen, Quinn amps, bludotone, Gil Ayan who probably has done more than anyone to nail the Dumble. I'll repeat it in case you missed it. The Amp garage, nice folks who are willing to share info for free, they can also advise on what makes Fords tone and the most cost effective way to get there, if that's no use to you then frankly its your loss

BeerBatteredPhish said:
jazzphan89 said:

Considering you've been the only person to offer some useful personal advice, I say "thanks". I've spent some time with your burn channel at 9 oclock setting and various tone stack and EQ flavorings. Close enough in my book. It gets me in that sharp upper mid presence and when I hit the wound strings hard, I get that faint chirp that I hear in Ford's tone.

To the others, spare me - I'm well versed on the history and "mystique" of the Dumbles.

Glad I could help! It's one of my favorite tones, too bad the discussions come with so much baggage...

jazzphan89 said:

Jazzphan - thanks for passing along this tip! I've been using and enjoying this setting since you suggested it a while back.

Steve

Grew up in El Lay b4 moving to Austin in 84' and saw Ry Cooder play his Dumble OS several times and worked with David Lindley when he left Jackson and started El Rayo X and had my head hammered by his SSS more times than I recall. I think we have to remember that the Dumble artists in question are unique musicians who play or played with an eccentric fire. I have a old (pre eq) 5:25 Head that I run through a Swart cabinet with two Celestion G12M's. I don't need to use my Euphoria anymore. Turn it up and play with some passion. Sounds like a Dumble to me.

Back