Speakers for Electra Dyne?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YellowJacket said:
I had this problem and I solved it with guitar pickups. My Les Paul was the culprit so I ended up swapping the neck pickup to a Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell to tighten up the bottom, then I put an Alnico Nailbomb in the bridge to phatten it up. Problem solved.

I'm surprised more ED owners don't mention mini-humbuckers with this amp.
I have a pair of Jason Lollar minis in my Firebird V and they are a perfect combination.
Warm bell tones on clean setting, awesome crunch in Lo and Hi....no bass-y woofyness
that some complain about.

Yep, I think you're right about changing the pickups. I'd rather have some lower output pickups anyways. The Dragon II's that come stock in the older PRS Custom 22's are really hot and huge sounding. They're great for high gain, but not so great for clean or low gain. They sound great in my Deluxe Reverb Reissue using a Fulltone GT-500 for gain, but in the Electra Dyne I have to set the amp completely different when I plug in that guitar: turn the volume(gain) down to 12:00, raise the treble to 1:30, lower the bass to 10:00. Do you have any suggestions for a good set of lower output humbuckers? I've been considering PAF-type pickups like the Dimarzio 36th anniversary. I need something with balanced mids and highs and really tight bass. I'm also gonna change the wiring scheme: from rotary pickup selector to toggle switch with a push/pull tone knob. I also want to have a series/parallel option for the bridge pickup.

Hollis said:
Yep, I think you're right about changing the pickups. I'd rather have some lower output pickups anyways. The Dragon II's that come stock in the older PRS Custom 22's are really hot and huge sounding. They're great for high gain, but not so great for clean or low gain. They sound great in my Deluxe Reverb Reissue using a Fulltone GT-500 for gain, but in the Electra Dyne I have to set the amp completely different when I plug in that guitar: turn the volume(gain) down to 12:00, raise the treble to 1:30, lower the bass to 10:00. Do you have any suggestions for a good set of lower output humbuckers? I've been considering PAF-type pickups like the Dimarzio 36th anniversary. I need something with balanced mids and highs and really tight bass. I'm also gonna change the wiring scheme: from rotary pickup selector to toggle switch with a push/pull tone knob. I also want to have a series/parallel option for the bridge pickup.

Go check out some Bare Knuckle Pickups, they're pretty amazing.

A go to for vintage tone is a Mule (PAF replica) in the neck with a Riff Raff in the bridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D756154qUdo

I first heard about Bare Knuckle Pickups here and since trying them on a lark, I now have them in all my guitars. My most 'vintage' set is the Rebel Yell bridge and a VHII neck in an all mahogany guitar. But, after hearing that Mule / Riff Raff clip, it would be tempting to get an axe just for those pickups!!

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=vintage&pickup=the_mule

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=vintage&pickup=riff_raff

I too, have owned and tried many, many speakers and many speaker combinations. I own Mesa cabs in most configurations.

To my ear, all my Mesa amps sound best with a Celestion Gold. The Gold lets the guitar and amp dynamics ring out and seems to enhance all the amp controls. When I first tried a 10" Gold with my 5:25, I couldn't believe I was playing the same amp. The 5:25 immediately became my favorite Mesa, at least until I tired 12" Golds with my Mark V and other Mesa amps. With the 12", every Mesa amp became was my favorite amp! Same with the ED.

Using Golds, to me, is like lifting a blanket off the speaker cab. But YMMV.

Hope you find the sound(s) you seek.

Bill

Hollis said:
It's killer with a bridge humbucker too, but swap to a neck humbucker and the walls and foundation of the building begin to crumble and disintegrate from the huge low end.

Lower the neck pickup.

45w mode.

screamingdaisy said:
Hollis said:
It's killer with a bridge humbucker too, but swap to a neck humbucker and the walls and foundation of the building begin to crumble and disintegrate from the huge low end.

Lower the neck pickup.

45w mode.

This was the starting point for me. Then I swapped the bridge pickup for something hotter and phatter to take it a step further. The end result is that I can get piles of tones out of Vintage Lo exclusively and Vintage HI / Clean are just icing on the cake.

Latest posts

Back