Suggestions for bright sounding 12ax7's please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sovtek made Tung-Sol reissues are pretty bright. Not good in cathode follower positions, will die a quick death. Great in V1 to brighten up a dark amp...

some of the brightest tubes are 1961 sylvania 12ax7.. some are labeled baldwin as they came in those organs back then.....i have several and going to sell most of them cause i found the right tube combination for my mark 5..........the tubes are very bright and chimey in the clean channel....almost too bright in channel 3 distortion.......there are lots of nos tubes that sound bright if that is what ur after... i currently have an rca black plate 1958 tube in v1 and so far it sounds great..i also have a few tungsram...jan ge,,jhs and jan sylvania,,,raytheon black plate tubes,,,all are pretty bright tubes with a warm tone as well....the prices on some of these tubes are about what new current tubes cost..

mesa metal said:
some of the brightest tubes are 1961 sylvania 12ax7.. some are labeled baldwin as they came in those organs back then.....i have several and going to sell most of them cause i found the right tube combination for my mark 5..........the tubes are very bright and chimey in the clean channel....almost too bright in channel 3 distortion.......there are lots of nos tubes that sound bright if that is what ur after... i currently have an rca black plate 1958 tube in v1 and so far it sounds great..i also have a few tungsram...jan ge,,jhs and jan sylvania,,,raytheon black plate tubes,,,all are pretty bright tubes with a warm tone as well....the prices on some of these tubes are about what new current tubes cost..

Let us know when you sell them. I would be interested in trying a Tungsram.

i will definately do that,,,ill get a list together of what im selling and post them,,,,,,can i do that here?? id like to see the tubes go to my fellow boogie heads!!
i think i have two of the tungsram left,,,,those are great tubes...

thunda1216 said:
Sovtek made Tung-Sol reissues are pretty bright. Not good in cathode follower positions, will die a quick death. Great in V1 to brighten up a dark amp...

I found these to be noticeably brighter than the JJs that I had in a Princeton Reverb clone.

thunda1216 said:

+1

swbo101 said:
thunda1216 said:

+1

+1, did wonders for cleaning up my Lead 1 Red mode in my TriAxis.

Had my v1 go bad on my V, only had groove tube available..happy accident, actually had to turn up My treble and pres. control. For those who complain the V is to Icepicky..Try it.,

I have a TOV.

I just placed Tung-Sol in V1, V2 and V3...is there a problem with that.

I checked the manual and did not see what position was the "cathode follower".

I have not powered up the amp yet.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back