Mesa Boogie Mark III Blue Stripe Short vs Long Head.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear All ,

I have settled on the Mark III blue stripe , But i need your experiences about the differences between the short and long head.

For sure I need to make the R2 Vol. mod incase the head i will buy does not have this mod.

I am looking to buy the short head , but I have read in some posts that the R2 Vol mod Can Not Be done on the short head version and can be done on the long head only. Is that True? and if Not , I need to know how to make this mod on the short head as i will do it myself , so I would need the steps provided by pics if available for the mod.

myrig.jpg
(Short Head Version)

mesa_boogie_Mark3_long_chassis_cover.jpg
(Long Head Version)

I will be waiting for your replies suggestions for the Mark III blue Stripe.

Thank All.

Do a search for "stacked pot" as related to the RHY2 mod on a short chassis Mark III. It is here somewhere with pics. It can be done without sacrificing the Direct out control.

I would opt for a short head, and pick up some concentric pots to use for the R2 mod, and install them on the presence control.

fretout said:
I would opt for a short head, and pick up some concentric pots to use for the R2 mod, and install them on the presence control.

Thank Man for your help and Support.

Mesa boogie Rules forever. \m/

I have the R2 mod on my Mark III and it does not effect the gain on Channel 1. The pot for it is on the rear of the amp.

charleonthronez said:
Is there any way to make R2 Gain Mod separate from channel 1 Gain?

The R2 mod will only affect the volume on the "Rhythm 2" channel. The clean channel (or "rhythm 1") will not be affected by the mod.

I know you've been doing a lot of research about these Blue Stripes lately. Good luck on your search! I'm excited for you when you find it! Make sure you post a new thread once you pick it up, and don't forget to visit a couple of the archive threads so that we can update our own archives!

\m/ Mark III Mafia \m/

charleonthronez said:
fretout said:

Thank Man for your help and Support.

Mesa boogie Rules forever. \m/
You got it man, anytime!

\m/

I just sent my purple striped III to Mesa to have Mike B. do the "III+" mod, (he tweaks the circuits so that the values are more in line with my Mk IIC+). He is replacing the slave out on the back with a R2 volume control. In some 30 plus years of using Mark series amps I never once used the "slave out" so I won't miss it at all. Other wise the concentric knob looks to be a way of having and eating cake.

Back