Played my Dyne with my band last night

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
I've been playing my MR, RV25 and MV25 with my band for a couple years. We had a drummer with an electronic kit, so we were very low volume, and the small amps were great. We switched to an acoustic kit recently, so I was able to dust off my Dyne and play it at rehearsal last night. Wow, what a great-sounding amp. Not as easy to carry as the minis, but I just love the tone from this amp.

I didn't need more volume than that 25W amps could give, but more than I've been using, so I was able to shoehorn in the Dyne with an attenuator. Wow, that amp is LOUD.

Another rehearsal, this time with Dyne through vertical recto 2x12. HOLY CRAP! Unbelievable tone. Lots of low-end, but not muddy at all. And just absolute sweetness in the mids. I can't believe this amp sat on the sidelines for 2 years.

Ran through a Rock Crusher at -14dB. It is a very loud amp, and we don't play very loud.

One "problem" I've had lately is that I can't find an overdrive or distortion pedal that I like. The tones of the Vintage Lo and Hi modes are so good, pedals just sound like, well, a pedal. It's gonna be hard to find an amp or clean amp/pedal that can compete. I'm completely spoiled.
My practice rig is a Deluxe Reverb Reissue and the Electra Dyne's clean channel sounds almost identical. The Dyne is just a hair less harsh in the high end and of course it's about a million times louder.

+1

Though I do use pedals with my Dyne. I have an OD808 and a BB preamp that both work well with it. I have them set with just a tiny bit of gain to get just a little more out of the amp. The 808 gets me a little cut, the BB give a nice smooth sustain.

Still, nothing beats the blue mode all by its naked self. I can play that all day.

I wonder how the TA mini would sound compared to the Dyne. On paper it seems to cover the same ground. That would be cool to have the whole stable of Mesa mini amps. 8)

Back