Speaker choice for vertical 2x12 build?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrafied

Reaction score
So I've started to build a vertical 2x12 custom cabinet, partly based off of the old halfback vertical 2x12 design. The top speaker is open back, and the bottom speaker will be in a thiele cab, so a little different than just the ported bottom of the halback design, so of course in the bottom I put one of my EVM 12Ls.

Now for the top, I have a choice between the other EVM 12L that I have, or a MC-90. They will be powered by a mesa 2:90/Triaxis rig and I'd like to power each speaker independently off of the two channels of the 2:90 just because (even knowing I won't get true stereo separation with the speakers being stacked).

Any pros/cons to either speaker choice for the top? I've heard that the EVMs work well in most any cab situation, but the MC-90s usually were put into the open tops of the halfbacks with EVMs in the bottom. Both speakers are 8 ohms though, and of course are different wattage, any issue there running mismatched speakers on the two channels of the 2:90?

No issues doing so using a 50/50 and mismatched speakers on my end. My current band set up is a Eminence Delta Pro 12a (ported) and a Celestion V30 (sealed) using a 50/50. The V30 and Delta Pro I am not a fan of by themselves, but they compliment each other wonderfully.

You shouldn't have much issues with the set up you are looking at, but the C90 might get blown if you crank the volume. I would look for a speaker that can handle at least 150 watts. For the open-back portion I would just put in that second EV you have laying around.

I think the two EV set up will work well. The ported bottom will give nice lows and thump, the open top will give a nice sound dispersion into the room.

electrafied said:
any issue there running mismatched speakers on the two channels of the 2:90?
No, none. The original halfback cabs with that pairing works perfectly fine and despite trying, I never blew them. The C90s sound really good in that cab style.

Back