Led Zep IV reissue------Yes, or No?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
Led Zep IV reissue------Yes, or No?

who has it?
opinions?

does it make the grade for a 'modern' re-mastering?
page influence good or bad?

is the 2nd disc of alternate mixes worth it?

No.....

I have purchased all of the super deluxe boxed sets that have been available. I paid around $100 for each. My main motivation was for the 180g virgin vinyl that was pressed from the Pallas plant in Germany. My old Zep vinyl from the 70's and early 80's were not of the same quality. By the late 70's/early 80's vinyl quality was at an all time low.

If you have the boxed set from 2008, the quality is about the same for IV. If you have that, save your money. The "extras" are not much of anything. The alternate mixes for Four Sticks and When The Levee Breaks are ok, but not worth the price of admission.

I will say that the re-master of Houses Of The Holy is excellent. Best sounding to date.

got it.

it's good.

companion disc, meh, who cares.

they made the right decision about re-mixing at the time.
the end product, was perfect.

excellent remaster.

they took a 'dark' original mix, and without adding sheen and treble, they made it more 'clear'.

this is what mastering is really all about.

i'll be picking up houses of the holy as well.....
that was my 2nd favorite zep LP.
LOL

I will say, that Page's attention to detail in the super deluxe boxed sets is super.

The re-masters do have slightly better separation on the instruments than the 2008 re-masters (with the exception of Houses, which is much better here - I was disappointed with it in the '08 boxed set) , but unless you have a high end system or listen to them with really good headphones it'll just pass you by.

I have the box set re-mastered which with headphone sounds great. I could hear Page's foot slide across the floor during the acoustic part of "Stairway to Heaven" which he forgot to dub out. But then perhaps the original LP has this part.

Jimmy Page has all the original reel-to-reel tracks so he took advantage of of today's modern technology transferring them to digital.

Now as for each individual album remastered, I really don't know how great it is. But knowing Page, he probably wants to remaster albums again as technology gets even better perhaps[?].

side note unrelated : I get the impression the first CD copies were just getting an LP transferring to Digital. Now all these "Remaster" CDs is probably using today's technology in processing them to digital.

Now if the producers has the 8-, 16- or more raw tracks, then they do a lot more convert the audio to digital (I would think).

Latest posts

Back