EVM 12L vs MC-90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanboy

Reaction score
My mark III combo currently has the EVM12L speaker, I also have a thiele cab with the EVM12L. Most of the time I unplug the speaker from the combo and only use the thiele. When the EVM12L is in the combo it's just too thin sounding and too much highs. I'm thinking about replacing it with the MC-90. Just curious what others have in their combo, if you do have the MC-90, do you like it and why?

Thanks,
Sean

I've never had any complaints with a C-90 in a combo or 1x12 open-back cab, especially with an EVM-loaded Thiele under it. I find the C-90 to be a good, balanced speaker, a bit warmer (less bright) than the EVM, and not very mid-heavy. It's compatible volume-wise with a 12-L. I think it would be worthwhile to try. They're relatively inexpensive and easy to re-sell if you don't like it.

I just stumbled across this on eBay for $90 delivered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie...0-/251659141018?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a980dbf9a

That's tough to beat especially with a 14 day return policy. Hell, I may buy it myself! :wink:

Would definitely swap a c90 for your 12l if you're interested. I have three is various cabs, and would like to get some more of a mix going on.

Picked up a used MC-90 on a local classified for $50 yesterday. I swapped speakers out in the combo. It's definitely a different animal than the EVM12L, haven't decided yet which one I like best.

Sean,
I definitively have observed the same...
As I've two reds and two Thieles and a imbuya empty cab, all with EVMs 12L I'm steadily experimenting all the time by unplugging and plugging.
Try louder settings and I forsee that you'll very likely find out the same. Ther louder, the more pressure the Thiele will make and "overtake" your combo cab. The big "BOOM" comes out in the Thieles obviously when playing loud.
Good luck :D

Two EVs only would be total overkill IMO. The warmer C90 in the combo itself and the EV in the Thiele is a marriage made in tone heaven IMO and it my setup for the MKIV (there is a reason this was the factory setup for the metal grill Mark cabs!). I never cease to be amazed at how big the EV sounds at high volume!

Boogie sold their old 2x12 and 4x12 half-back cabs with a combination of C-90s I. The top with EV12Ls in the bottom, back in the late '80s/ early '90s. The pairing sounds really good for certain music styles, but even with the C-90, it could get brittle. Exercising the GEQ fixed some of that but I ended up putting a old RFT 12ax7 in V3 to cut the harshness. It worked.

I like the combination of those two speakers for modern rock, but if you push the classic rock envelope more, I like the WGS ET65 and Veteran 30 in the same cab.

I have never found anything I like better than the EV in the combo (green stripe mk iii, hardwood, graphic, simulclass). I have ended up using mine with a Marshall 1912. A cheap option in the UK but it adds low end thump and is a good volume match for the EV. The 1912 on its own lacks bite and sounds ordinary/less Boogie. It is always the EV that is miced to the PA.

I've owned both and have found very few tones where I preferred the C90 even though they sounded good. For very "fuzzy" overdriven tones, the C90s were good but whenever I was trying to dial in a variety of tones on different channels, the EVs were tough to beat for versatility. Clean tones weren't even close: EV all the way.

I don't use the c90 that came w/my mk1 reissue. I have a closed-back twin cab w/ a G12h-80 and an old Fane Medusa (made for Crate when they were made out of crates).
It is perfect for me.

Back