Tube in Rectifier position

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheArriaga88

Reaction score
Sup fellas! i was hanging out with a couple old pals today and i was showing them the ol' dual rec, and talking to them about tubes, they mentioned how the power tubes and the rectifier tubes looked pretty much the same, and asked me if i had ever accidentally misplace either. so that got me thinking, theoretically, what would happen if you accidentally put a power tube in the rectifier position? would your amp blow up? or would the fuse blow out to protect the circuitry? just curious here :mrgreen:

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

dodger916 said:
MrMarkIII said:
Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
:lol: Important safety tip: DON'T cross the streams!

RectoBusters?

You want to know what happens ?

I guess not much if you place a power tube instead of a rectifier tube.

But if you put a rectifier tube instead of a power tube, it does not need long and the flowing current melts your screen resistor as it behaves like a power tube with a short :evil:

I know what I am talking about.... made this test accidently :mrgreen: last week

After that i made the decision to use only coke bottle rectifier tubes to make this never happen again.
Until now I am not sure how this could happen, as I controll very careful the tube pairs before I place them in the sockets....

After finishing the tubing I tested the sound and around a minute later, when the smoke started to came out I asked myself: What the hell happens there. Somehow I was glad when I found I accidently misplaced the tubes.... So I knew at least what had happened there. But it was almost a heart attack in the first moment. :oops:

Latest posts

Back