Anyone have hiss issues with ED?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67mike

Reaction score
My ED has a fair bit of baseline hiss worst in red but still there in blue with gain trim on clean.

My preamp tubes are all good and most are new?

Anyone else have similar issue?

Mine is pretty quiet.. Nothing compared to my Orange head..

Tubes can still be bad if they are new. I would replace one by one to see if you can make sure all tubes are good.

First test: Guitar straight into amp input, nothing in the FX loop. Turn down the guitar volume. Could be pickup noise or pedal noise.

Next: Same test, different guitar cable

Could be the reverb circuit as well. Try turning that off.

I have had a fair amount of hiss and hum, but always from pedals and ground loops. Straight into the amp it's very quiet. If you have anything else with AC mains in your signal path, 99% of the time that is your problem.

While it could be tubes, I don't remember ever having a really noisy tube. Usually I notice differences in tone and/or gain, or they simply don't work (no sound, horrible farting noises, intermittent, etc).

Roll the tubes to quiet the amp down. The Electra Dyne is tricky because of how the tube tasks are allocated. You can't simply get a quiet v1 for a good result like you can with something like a Dual Rectifier.

For 1 week now or so i got a hiss problem too. I guess it is a tube sh!t. While fading away of sustaining a note or chord a hiss comes in the end and fills my playing not very musically. it does it on every channel. Except for this i sound flawless. Any ideas on that?

I have a lot of hiss, am currently using EL34s (matched) and am also having other issues: to wit, the amp is real bassy. I have the treble maxed, the the mids maxed, bass waaaaaay down, STILL too bassy. Moving the mike away from the speaker (about 7 inches now) and positioned directly in front of the voice coil helped (once I tuned the PA to get the bass down) and now I have a pretty good sound, but I want mids out of my EL34s and not so much bass.
Will go back to the 45w mode, I hear that the EL34s may sound better in that mode, but right now I am seriously thinking about going back to 6L6; I know and love 6L6.
The main appeal of the ED for me was using EL34s though, and so far I am not overly impressed.
Somebody please enlighten me.
As far as the hiss goes, guess I will have to start testing first stage toobs, boy I hate that task. :?

My first question would be, what speakers are you using? Second question is: are you running straight into the amp with no effects, even in the loop?

I also run Tung Sol EL34s in my Dyne. I was surprised when I first got the amp at how "thick" the bottom end was. But, it's not that mushy bass tone, just more like a brick hitting me in the chest. I tend to roll my bass to about 9:00 and that suits me fine. Depending on the speakers and brand of tubes (even new ones can be crap), that could lead to a mushy bass tone.

hey jnoel,
don't know if you were addressing me.... but I am using a 4x10 mesa Lonestar Cab with a mix of alnico and ceramic, Jensen and Tone Tubby speakers... this cab is fucking awesome and transparent, sounds great with all my amps and the problem is definitely the amp head.
My ED head seems to be incapable of producing a biting treble tone. I like to have the whole range of tones from deep thumping base to piercing treble highs available, and THEN I shape the sound I want from that.
Unfortunately this amp appears unable to produce the highs with EL-34s in. I don't know what the problem is, but I have the treble maxed, bass down all the way.. if I move the midrange knob around I hear a difference and the mids do become more pronounced and richer, but the highs are just MISSING.
I will have to try the 6L6 again and then maybe have a good tech evaluate the amp.

I am running my amp with the stock compliment of Mesa tubes(6L6's). First of all it's dead quiet, even on Vintage Hi mode, boosted, and at chest thumping volumes. Also, my Electra Dyne definitely has a huge low end(of course), but it also has a stinging, biting top end (especially with a bridge humbucker). It cuts through the mix and has a very rich enveloping presence. It really fills the room. All this from a 1x12 combo.

Back