5:25+ Speaker Suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I owned a Mesa DC3 and an Orange Rocker 30 and the Vintage 30 speaker turned me off on both of these amps.

I just bought an Express 5:50 with a Celestion C90. Not familiar with this speaker and have not picked up the amp yet so I can't offer any help or feedback this speaker.

I would suggest going with a Celestion Creamback.

Good luck with your search.

I have a bit older 5:25 non-plus, but it does have the V-30. I paired it with a 1x12 extension housing a Celestion"Greenback" and find it sounds great.

I really like how mine sounds through a CRex in a closed back cab. Seriously thinking about converting the combo to a head.

Matt

Enjoying a CR in my 5:25 Plus combo. Has anyone tried a Tone Tubby 40/40? I was almost going for one, but couldn't find good clips to compare. I did find one where pink noise was put through a variety of speakers, the 40/40 seemed bright with that test.

Had my first gig with the CR in my 5:25+ combo. Very pleased. It tamed the treble, yet still had plenty of sparkle on clean and harmonics on burn. Treble and mid about in the 10 to just under 12 o'clock range. Ran them lower with the V30. Had played around with the EQ for upper mid while in the basement, did not use it for the small club. Great amp!

Send me an EJ speaker and I'll try it 8) . Hard to make a guess how it will sound. Eric would sound good through most any rig. Vintage Strat, Marshall, Eric + any reasonable speaker = great tone.

Hi all. Thinking of changing the speaker in my 5:25+ and have a couple of question about doing so. I know I can do so from the back by removing the amp chassis, reverb, etc. But what happens if I simply remove the four screws on the front speaker grill? Will the grill with speaker just come off as a unit for a very easy swap?

Also I'm debating between a Celestion Gold and a Eminence EJ1250 speaker. Opinions of each and how they'd compare and sound in my 5:25+?

Also I do realize I'd need to carefully drill for four additional mounting holes in the Celestion speaker to mount it without modifying the amp so that's not an issue for me.

Thanks in advance for your advice and wisdom!

See today's post in the Express forum. You need to remove either the output tubes/shield or the chassis. And remove the reverb unit. Speaker unbolts and comes out from the back.

I can't give advice on those speakers. Plenty of info in this forum and elsewhere on the web. General guidance is what do you like or do not like about the speaker in your amp? Then see what others say about the Celestion Gold and Eminence compared to the V30. Note if the speaker reviews are in a closed back cab or open back - mostly a bass and "direct, in your face" type of projection compared to open back.

Get both and try both if you can swing 2 speakers.

I've changed the Celestion V30 for a Celestion G12 Century Vintage with the Neodymium magnets. It's 3 kilos (6lbs) lighter and is similar sounding to the V30 but, in my opinion, less harsh. It's had around a 100 hours playthrough at various levels to date and sounds really good to me. Well worth considering if you like with the Celestion tone.

I put a Tone Tubby Purple Haze in my 5:25+ and WOW! I have been using a Cannabis Rex, the V30 was too bright/spikey for my taste. Was liking the CR, very smooth. Even thought the Purple is bright and the 5:25+ is bright, the combination is great.

I had not used Blues much, really like how it sounds from mid gain to cranked. Clean is much better than with the CR. With the V30 all I heard was the high harmonics, now can hear the fundamental and harmonics. Burn is great, even though the Purple is better at cleans on other amps (it is supposed to be similar to a JBL K120). Responsive to tone controls and EQ, can get chime without spike.

The Purple is best with some volume, the ANICO and hemp cone combo will sing once you apply power. I had been using this speaker in my MKIIA, it just wasn't a good fit except for really clean. The lead channel was getting better as the speaker got more playing time. But nothing close to how it sounds with the Express.

a very well broken in V30 works for me, the amp certainly feels more alive than with the standard Celestion

jestaudio said:
a very well broken in V30 works for me, the amp certainly feels more alive than with the standard Celestion

I have a non-plus 5:25. Almost immediately I changed out the Mesa Vintage 30 for a Cannabis Rex, more out of reflex than anything else. Sounded very good but found that it tended to over-emphasize the lower end in a unbalanced way - too flabby - that I could not dial out. Also tried briefly a Mesa Black Shadow 50 watt (eminence made) from my '86 Studio .22 which sounded alright but not that inspiring. So after a year or so put the original speaker back in and - wow, just brought the amp to life. Very well balanced, great detail without being harsh, and nice bottom and mids. There is a lot to be said for the Mesa version of the Vintage 30 - its their own variant made in England and is reputed to have a smoother top end than the regular Chinese made version. Anyway, I think Mesa made a good choice in this speaker and voiced the amp to work well with it.

Just got a Tone Tubby Winterland. Mounted it in a 1x12 cab so I can compare and try with different amps. First impression is good. Compared to the Purple now in the 5:25+ combo, it is a bit louder and more forward sounding. Maybe it is the upper mids? A little less bass. Have not played with the EQ much but seems to respond well to tone and the graphic. This is not like a Cannabis Rex, it is brighter.

The Purple is a bit sweeter. Thinking a combo of ALNICO and being played in. Both together are very nice. Will probably put the Winterland in the combo and have the Purple in the extension cab.

Another vote for the C90. I play my 5:25+ head through a Mesa Lonestar 1x12 cab with stock C90 installed. Sounds great.

I ended up with a seismic 2x12 cab (iffy build, but usable) and I got a well broken in V30 (England) to go with my c90

Initial impression is WOW... sounds great to me

Even clean, infinite sustain with my newly acquired '89 Les Paul Custom

Both at low and high volumes, it's EXACTLY what I was looking for

thanks guys

side note: the LPC's from '89 have extreme resonance and Bill Lawrence designed pu's...I think they whole thing is awesome

A friend of mine has a 57 Les Paul, and he was in shock!!

Just dropped a Celestian Century in my Express 5x25 and loving the lighter weight. Speaker sounds great!. I must say what a royal pain swapping in out though. I had to remove the back plate, drop the chassis and pull up the reverb tank... good times!

Played a small club recently, used a 1x12 extension cab with the combo. While not needed for volume, it added to the overall sound. Tone Tubby Purple on top, Winterland in the combo. The Winterland is starting to come into its own, but really nice combination from clean to dirty with the Purple.

image.jpeg

I recently purchased a 5:25 Plus combo and I really like the speaker offering in this amp! I think it sounds great for cleans to high gain. Also, I am sure the stock speaker will sound even better when broken in, but I like what I am hearing so far. I simply adjust the treble knob and or GEQ high frequency sliders to suit me.
I also own a Widebody 112 cab with C90 and I am sure the addition of this cab with my combo would sound killer. I just haven't done that yet because am experimenting with the amp stand alone for now.

Back