DC-2 Model A problems .....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lento

Reaction score
Hello all, I've just got hold of a 1993 Studio Caliber DC-2 and have to say I do like it's lead channel midrange honk ! Quite unlike any sound that comes from my Triaxis - but will try to duplicate it.
Of course, it could be the stock speaker that gives it that sound versus using the Tri with an EV ......

Anyway, the combo has two problems:

1/ The Lead channel comes on straightaway as normal, but the rhythm channel takes anywhere upto 40 minutes to come on from cold. I've swapped out the V1 and V4 valves with known good ones but no change. I'm no tech engineer but had a look inside and couldn't see any sign of a cap or anything else looking ill.

2/ The Lead channel reverb is really weak - even on 10, I can barely hear it. On the Rhythm channel it's fine (when it finally comes on). I've swapped out V5 and no change. Could it just be the control pot is giving up ?

Thanks in advance for any advice ......

Well, for anyone interested, I've had it diagnosed as a sticking switching relay !

Problem is that this model has components fitted that are available only from Mesa and the circuit boards have double sided circuits which are difficult to work on when trying to remove multipin devices.

It would probably need a complete Mesa board and the estimated repair is between £100 - £150 plus the cost of shipping to the Authorised Mesa guy here in the UK.

Think I'll be sticking with the Triaxis .....

Back