Adjustable-Bias-Kit in Stiletto GREAT SOUND!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks FlyingFin, Im glad to read that you´ve also have the same problem. Otherwise my amp is maybe broke..

I read on the board the good reviews after installing te mod and biassing it. Im very curious how you guys have biassed your amp.

Like: in what mode (bold/spongy), channel(1 or 2) and rectifier choice (tube/diode).

I simply want to raise my bias on channel2 up to 36 (now 31, with power BOLD, channel2 (all modes) and diode rectifier. But I'm afraid my clean channel bias would be a bit too high, because it is already high..

Thanks!

I'm thinking about trying a stiletto but to me the gain is just really lose sounding in all the clips I have heard . I'm not that concerned about the cleans cause I rarely use the clean channels and I have a lonestar if I need cleans . I know what the bias mod did for the lone star and I'm wondering if the bias mod tightens up the gain on the stiletto ? your input is appreciated
Thanks
splat

Hey splatter
Gee, I don't know, I always thought the gain was pretty tight sounding on my Deuce . Even before the mod.
It sure sounds that way next to my band mates Shiva. And my Budda for that matter.

fbomb is desperately looking for someone to post some clips of the mod.
I'd like to accommodate you sir but being a pretty low tech garage rocker I just don't have the means at the moment.
I don't think anything from my hand held Tascam will do it justice.

Maybe someone living in the 21st century can step up to the plate. :)

Riff Blister said:
Hey splatter
Gee, I don't know, I always thought the gain was pretty tight sounding on my Deuce . Even before the mod.
It sure sounds that way next to my band mates Shiva. And my Budda for that matter.

fbomb is desperately looking for someone to post some clips of the mod.
I'd like to accommodate you sir but being a pretty low tech garage rocker I just don't have the means at the moment.
I don't think anything from my hand held Tascam will do it justice.

Maybe someone living in the 21st century can step up to the plate. :)

Ive been playing splawns for a few years and now I'm playing a Friedman KS marshall so I guess I'm kinda use to really tight gain . Don't mean to sound like a tone snob but I guess i am :)

Does anybody know where I can get this mod from? It seems that Mansfield is no longer around.

Thanks.

John

Any tech should be able to perform this service for you. The Mesa tech in Austin will even go so far as to install bias test points if you wish. The Stiletto is one of the easiest in which to install adjustable bias because it's A/B as opposed to simul-class!

talltxguy said:
Any tech should be able to perform this service for you. The Mesa tech in Austin will even go so far as to install bias test points if you wish. The Stiletto is one of the easiest in which to install adjustable bias because it's A/B as opposed to simul-class!

I guess what I was trying to ask is, where can I now purchase this mod kit since Mansfield is no longer around?

I found this one.

http://grangeramp.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=438

Is it the same thing? If so, What resistor, trim pot, is right for the stiletto deuce?

Thanks,
John

You're trying to get tech advice, so just talk to a tech. You're not going to find the answers you're looking for on a forum, and even if someone does answer you, how do you verify their credibility? I know I'd rather have a credible source before I start modding an expensive, high-voltage tube amp.

Better safe than sorry.

John Price said:
talltxguy said:

I guess what I was trying to ask is, where can I now purchase this mod kit since Mansfield is no longer around?

I found this one.

http://grangeramp.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=438

Is it the same thing? If so, What resistor, trim pot, is right for the stiletto deuce?

Thanks,
John

REVIVAL!! lol
You CAN and should find that info in a forum (thats what forums are for) and the info is YES that kit will work and just ask the Granger people in an email which resistor and trimpot you need for your amp and they will hook you right up!

John Price said:
Does anybody know where I can get this mod from? It seems that Mansfield is no longer around.

Thanks.

John

Hi John, Mansfield can be contacted through his Facebook page, here is the link:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mansfiel ... 3783515762
Hope this helps mate, I just ordered the bias kit for my Mesa Stiletto Deuce Stage 2 Head
Bob

Anybody looking for the Mansfield Guitars LLC Bias kit mod for a Mesa Stiletto Deuce Stage 2 Head should contact John through his Facebook page, I recently did and my kit is on it's way, John is a great guy and easy to work with
Link:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mansfield-Guitars-LLC/165363783515762

Riff Blister said:
OK, I'm two weeks into my Stiletto with the Mansfield Adjustable Bias mod. It's been great!!!
I haven't gigged with the amp but my home practice space is large and I live in a spacious neighborhood. I can at least crank up to match a good drummer's volume without having a squad car pull up my driveway.
The very first thing I noticed was the added girth in the midrange. Great on Channel 1 Crunch. Even more so on Channel 2 Tight Gain. I love that!!!
Secondly, and probably the most important to a lot of people, the harsh high end is gone!!!
Sh*# Yeah!!!!!!!
No matter how I tried (within reasonable settings) I can't dial it back in. Bringing up the Presence and Treble adds brightness of course but not the spiky bad stuff. Don't misunderstand though, it's still a Stiletto and it's inherent design to "cut" is still there.
It still sounds like a Stiletto.
An interesting side point is that I now am liking some of the different setting that I never liked so much before. I've always preferred running Bold and Silicon Diodes. Now I am finding that Spongy and tube rectifiers are sounding **** good too. It could be just me but that's what I'm liking.
Thank you John Mansfield for building this little device.
Thank you guy named Splatter and Charles Reeder for bring this information to us on the Boogie Board.
Thanks also to amp tech Casey Gooby for the professional installation.
Ah, what the hell. Thanks Mom and Dad for all you've done too.

Picture005.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Thank you BB readers for putting up with this long wind bag post. :wink:
Mark

Thanks for sharing the pic of the installed bias mod, thanks to you that is exactly where I will have mine installed :)

John Price said:

Thanks.

John
Hi John, Mansfield can be contacted through his Facebook page, here is the link:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mansfiel ... 3783515762
Hope this helps mate, I just ordered the bias kit for my Mesa Stiletto Deuce Stage 2 Head
Bob

I am going to try out the Orange DIVO OV4, seems a lot easier to install, 2 ground wires and 4 tube sockets that sit on top of your tube sockets (like bias probe). This thing offers many options and leaves not trace to void your warranty, at $449 seems like it will save a lot of time and save your amp in case of a tube failure.

https://www.orangeamps.com/products/accessories/amplifier-management/divo-ov4/#tab-id-1

It's there a picture somewhere I can look at, to see where the bias resistor is located?
It's it the same on the Lonestar and/or can I used that reference to perform this mod?

Back