Custom Power Amp finally in the house!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talltxguy

Reaction score
The local Mesa tech in Austin and I discussed this project last summer. After a few setbacks, the amp is finally done!

It's got a Mesa power transformer. The choke & output transformer are from Marshall amps. There is a pentode/triode switch on the back, resonance/presence/volume controls on the front, full power/tweed switch on the front, 2 5U4GBs, & 2 EL34s, and adjustable bias test points for each EL34.

I've been waiting a long time for this thing, and I'm very happy to report that she gets along wonderfully with the Studio Pre.

Hey seems great !
On what act the resonance control ? NFB ?

Crane, I'm not sure how the tech set up the resonance controls with the negative feedback. I do know that the negative feedback is not adjustable.

Looks nice! Do you guys plan on building a second for stereo?

I'll bet it sounds terrific and being custom made you likely have something that sounds like no one else's rig.
That's probably the most fun part...it's unique!!

Enjoy! :D

Old BF Shred,

No plans for a second power amp at this time. I'm very happy with the amp. I'm gonna do my best to give the GAS a rest and focus on playing.

Nice, congratz! 8)

Do protect/cover the trannies and tubes in some way though, I'd freak out if I'd have a custom poweramp that exposed :shock:

Out of curiosity, who's the local Austin Mesa tech (i need some work done on my Studio-Pre)?

Jackie,
That amp will not leave the house without a cover. lol

Zamp, on the Mesa website, he is listed as the Audio Monk. His name is Anthony. His number is (512) 695-0960.

No amazing Christmas presents to report. On a positive note, I found the money and a guy who is going to finish the custom power amp. He's gonna put sides & a top on it, put on front & back panels, replace the old-school knobs with chickenheads, and install a negative feedback pot.

Whew! This thing has been a long time coming.

Ok, the amp is finally finished. Dan Lurie from FYD Amps added a faceplate, new knobs, a NFB pot, and the cathode/fixed bias switch.

It's been nearly two years and I am still rolling with the same power amp. It's simply a miracle. :lol:

I have never owned a piece of gear for this long and not had any inclination to replace it.

Approaching my 3-year anniversary with the power amp. Funny how much more into the playing I've gotten since chillin' on the GAS. lol

Thanks for updating this thread. I've been GAS free myself for the longest time now, about 9 months or so since I bought my JP2C. I'm currently snowed in and loving every moment with the amp turned up loud at 10 a.m.! My favorite set-up for a while was a Stereo-pre with a Simul-class 295 into a road ready 4X12 EV loaded cabinet. It sounded incredible and mean but weighed 250 pounds! I did many gigs with it, moving by myself most of the time. Headroom to die for when playing large outdoor gigs.

I owned a Mesa 295 for a while. It was a great power amp. I liked it better than the 50/50 I used to play through. The 295 had more flavor to it. lol

I'm still playing through my custom power amp. I let my GAS chill out and finally been focusing on making music.

Back