NAD 50 Caliber + and Cab -w/pics!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So today, I got the 4x12 cabinet wired up and I could FINALLY check out the 50 Cal+ head since it is back from Boogie. Well, I turned it on and everything appeared fine. I tried to add some reverb - reverb did not work. I tried to use the 5-band graphic EQ - would not come on - Nothing. I am fairly bummed out. I just left a voicemail for the guys at Boogie to get back to me. Geez!!!! :(

That's very disappointing, given that you sent it back to The Source. Unless it got damaged in shipping. Let us know how it turns out, and good luck!

scoobyzjr said:
So today, I got the 4x12 cabinet wired up and I could FINALLY check out the 50 Cal+ head since it is back from Boogie. Well, I turned it on and everything appeared fine. I tried to add some reverb - reverb did not work. I tried to use the 5-band graphic EQ - would not come on - Nothing. I am fairly bummed out. I just left a voicemail for the guys at Boogie to get back to me. Geez!!!! :(

So, another trip to UPS and it is headed back to Boogie. Oh well, little setbacks will not keep me from enjoying this amp....someday :lol:

Isn't there a local tech or Authorized Boogie repair shop that can service it? There's gotta be someone near you in Maryland. I'm always a little nervous shipping my amps cross-country after my Mark IV combo got severely damaged.

scoobyzjr said:
So, another trip to UPS and it is headed back to Boogie. Oh well, little setbacks will not keep me from enjoying this amp....someday :lol:

dodger916 said:
Isn't there a local tech or Authorized Boogie repair shop that can service it? There's gotta be someone near you in Maryland. I'm always a little nervous shipping my amps cross-country after my Mark IV combo got severely damaged.

scoobyzjr said:

Actually, there is a Boogie service tech near me, but because they had already serviced the amp, the guys at Boogie wanted to come back to them again.

When I originally decided to get the amp serviced, the service manager at Boogie told me that they could do a "deeper dive" into the amp than what I would get through a local authorized service place. That is why I originally sent it back to HQ.

What is the serial number? I've seen a few of the very first Calibers with the up-side-down boards.
I usually install all new parts on the tops of the boards. Mostly so that I can remember what I did when I was in there.

I love that tolex! Might have to get some!

As for the reverb, when you get it back, if the reverb still doesn't work, try swapping the cables. I can't even count how many amps I've seen that had non-working reverb simply because the cables were plugged in backwards.

I love the .50 Cal +! The clean channel is so warm sounding, and the distortion just flat out RAWKS!!!

Monsta-Tone said:
What is the serial number? I've seen a few of the very first Calibers with the up-side-down boards.
I usually install all new parts on the tops of the boards. Mostly so that I can remember what I did when I was in there.

I love that tolex! Might have to get some!

As for the reverb, when you get it back, if the reverb still doesn't work, try swapping the cables. I can't even count how many amps I've seen that had non-working reverb simply because the cables were plugged in backwards.

I love the .50 Cal +! The clean channel is so warm sounding, and the distortion just flat out RAWKS!!!

The serial # FP12327

If I have any more problems with this amp, I may have to ship it to you to check out.

YES!!!!! :eek:

Today, the Service Manager from Mesa Boogie called me. There were loose wires from both the EQ and the reverb that needed to be fixed. Since it was considered their issue and not mine, they fixed it and are shipping it back free....and REIMBURSING me for my out-of-pocket shipping expenses. Pretty cool. Can't wait to get this amp home and crank it up!

how are you guys channel switching with these amps.. I have one .. and both clean and distortion sound great ... but I cant switch between the channels and get the same volume have to fiddle around every time..

thanks,

Joe

I always had a problem with this too because I could never get the amount of distortion that I wanted and still have a nice warm clean channel.

Years later, it occurred to me (I'm slow like that sometimes) that I could simply switch in another volume pot when the lead channel was activated and remedy this problem.
I still keep my eyes out for a good condition .50 Cal combo in Hawaii that I can try this on, but they are scarce out here.

Monsta-Tone said:
I always had a problem with this too because I could never get the amount of distortion that I wanted and still have a nice warm clean channel.

Years later, it occurred to me (I'm slow like that sometimes) that I could simply switch in another volume pot when the lead channel was activated and remedy this problem.
I still keep my eyes out for a good condition .50 Cal combo in Hawaii that I can try this on, but they are scarce out here.

may have to give that a whirl....

-1 on the combo tho... toooooo heavy to cart around..

I can usually get the volume on both channels to balance pretty well, but I am only running the gain at around 2.5 to 3. I do not use tons of gain.

Now that my Boogie is home, I am loving it. I just bought a Way Huge Echo Puss delay to run in the effects loop and I am getting the perfect tone!

Also a quick question - since I am not running the gain high, I was wondering what preamp tube I could run in V1 to get a lower gain, mellow tone? I have a full compliment of JJ's in the amp now, which are what came with the amp.

My problem is that I'm a gain head......I added more gain to my Roadking! :lol:

To get even lower gain you can try a 5751. A lot of guys will recommend the 12AT7, but it sounds like *** and sends way too much current through some circuits.
You can also try a 12AY7, which sounds much better than the AT7.
I have a stash of old Fender and Mullard tubes that are very low gain. I use them when I need to get a better clean tone out of something. I have no idea how worn out they are, but for cleaner amps, they are super quiet. On high gain amps, sometimes my old tubes sound scratchy, hissy, and crappy though....

I am going to try a few different tubes and see what happens. I do want to stay with a 12ax7, though.

Monsta-Tone said:

the previous owner did something similar to this to my .50+ combo. there's an extra pot on the back which affects the gain/volume on the lead channel only. unfortunately, it's not enough! if i have the gain up to around 7 it's right on the limit of staying clean on the rhythm channel. if you go to 7.5 or 8, it starts to sound pretty hectic on the lead channel (with a touch more treble too) but then the clean sound gets messy. i'd really like the two channels to be slightly further apart.

i could get a DC-5 but i really like the caliber.

I honestly like the .50 Cal's tones a lot more than the DC-5.
The cleans are warmer and the distortion is meaner.
I keep thinking that I should get another one and add some LDR's or a relay to switch gain pots in and out when changing channels.

Latest posts

Back