Anyone running a combo + 1x12?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkV

Reaction score
I have a V30 and want a little bigger sound from my combo for that 2x12 sound. I generally play blues and classic rock (Led Zeppelin).

What speakers do you recommend? I am hearing great things about the V30 pairing with the Swamp Thang or a Tonkerlite. A mismatch in speaker size could be interesting... (8" Eminence 820H or 10" Rajun Cajun or 10" Jensen Tornado 10).

The best guitar speaker in the world is EVM 12L. It's the toughest and most efficient.
More volume for less watts.

Swamp Thing is a "consumer grade" speaker. It is relatively inefficient.
It does not sound any different from other Eminence speakers.

So it depends on whether you need more volume...
or just more dispersion, at a lower volume.

Once you have used EVM, you will never go back to "consumer grade" speakers.

The volume of an amp depends more on the speaker than the power of the amp.

soundguruman- I think you are living up to your name here. That is a great recommendation. I am looking dispersion and have enough volume (good point to make the distinction). Have not heard the EVM 12L before. I listened to a few demos online and the sound is VERY transparent- its as though the strings are coming through the speaker (I hear the amp coming through the speaker currently with my V30). I am almost intimidated to try it, will love or hate it. Probably love it.

hi, i have a dc2 combo and one year ago i had the same idea you have i wanted a more full sound different frequencies, my mesa has a vintage black shadow and has an open back, i wanted to make a huge difference to note it so i bought an orange 1x12 cab with a v30 (whick seems more bassy), closed back and a mismatch impedance i have the 8 Ohms black shadow on a 4Ohms jack and the 16 Ohms v30 on the 8 jack, that combination completly fascinated me!!!! you wont regret it TRY!
pd: i play the same geners as you + a lot of pink floyd stuff! 8) 8) 8) 8)

To me the more speakers I have hooked to my amp the better. As far as EVM12's go, I prefer them to any other Brand. A full stack sounds awesome compared to a single speaker or half stack, it's been like that for 35 or so years for me. When I use an open back combo in conjunction with a closed back cabinet my low end intelligibility and definition are very apparent, takes up the slop.

I've just about decided on the Thiele 1x12 with EVM to flesh out my MKIV wide body when needed for jam sessions, only it is proving rather difficult to find one. No shortage of C90 equipped ones out there, but I've already got one of those in my combo, so stacking them will be like a mini version of my metal grill Mark 4x12, which is a sound I already know works!

My MkIV era Thiele EVM12L arrived today.

HOLY CRAP! No wonder people rave about how huge it sounds! Easily the equal of many 2x12s. In fact, I bet it would beat an old Laney 4x12 I had many years ago. Very impressive design. I have no regrets! It is too narrow to stack (and look good) with my Wide Body MkIV combo, so I just have them side by side about 3 feet apart angled out slightly and it sounds fantastic...

soundguruman said:
The best guitar speaker in the world is EVM 12L. It's the toughest and most efficient.
More volume for less watts.

Swamp Thing is a "consumer grade" speaker. It is relatively inefficient.
It does not sound any different from other Eminence speakers.

So it depends on whether you need more volume...
or just more dispersion, at a lower volume.

Once you have used EVM, you will never go back to "consumer grade" speakers.

The volume of an amp depends more on the speaker than the power of the amp.

Sound is subjective. I personally do not care for the sound of the EVM 12L in guitar applications. It's a PA speaker. I prefer a little coloration from the speaker. "Consumer grade" speaker? Was/is not the EV speaker intended for consumers?

Back