NAD 50 Caliber + and Cab -w/pics!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobyzjr

Reaction score
So, I just purchased a 50 Caliber + head. I got it home and opened it up. Ummm....something seems wrong doesn't it?!?!?!?!?

Edit - I have had a few days to chill. Still bummed that the inside is messed up / upside down. :(

I am in the Baltimore area. I need to find someone to get this straightened out and also clean it up and a cap job.

Any advice?????

Something fishy going on here. You didn't even plug it in and try it? Whomever you bought this amp from won't give you your money back? It looks like all the stuff is under the board but it's hard to tell from the photographs, but it doesn't appear to ever have been wired up and taken off, but once again hard to tell from my house. I have a hard time believing someone would rip all that stuff out and think they could sell the amp. And why would you purchase this? Something definitely isn't right with this "shocking" post.

Yes I plugged it in and tried it. It actually works. The pots are all scratchy and the volume has some dips, so I figured it needed a tune-up. I have played it a few times since I purchased it last week. I did not think to open it up prior to buying it. Last night, I took the chassis out, because I am going to re-tolex the cabinet. That is when I saw this mess. Looks like the board is upside down and who knows what else is happening.

Markedman said:
Something fishy going on here. You didn't even plug it in and try it? Whomever you bought this amp from won't give you your money back? It looks like all the stuff is under the board but it's hard to tell from the photographs, but it doesn't appear to ever have been wired up and taken off, but once again hard to tell from my house. I have a hard time believing someone would rip all that stuff out and think they could sell the amp. And why would you purchase this? Something definitely isn't right with this "shocking" post.

Wow, I came on here for help. Didn't know I had to defend myself! :?

Seems the board is mounted upside down.
It's the right board.
Maybe thats a Early model.
If it works you arent screwed.
Inquire Mesa in a email with the pic's and serial number.
Maybe you got a test model or something.

I just can't imagine why the board is upside down. I would believe that was done after-market. I wonder what the reason is. I need to have someone who knows what they are doing (not me!) take a look at it and clean it up.

Thanks guys! I have to find someone to clean things up and get this amp in top performing shape.

I stripped the tolex off the cab and I am re-tolexing in snakeskin. Wish me luck! :lol:

This makes no sense unless it is a factory prototype.

If you flipped the board over, the left side of the board would be on the right side, OR the front of the board would be in the back.

If you look at the other photos with top loaded components, the preamp tube sockets are not in the clear at all, they are covered over with components.

Will be interesting to find out what the F&%K it is!

Mesa customer service is so awesome! I emailed the issue to Mesa Boogie this afternoon - Super Bowl Sunday. I figured I would not hear from anyone until sometime next week. Seven hours later, I had a response! Crazy!!

Anyway, I was told that I should send the amp to the factory for service. I will call tomorrow and schedule.

I will keep you posted on what Mesa HQ says.

SixVeeSix said:
This makes no sense unless it is a factory prototype.

If you flipped the board over, the left side of the board would be on the right side, OR the front of the board would be in the back.

If you look at the other photos with top loaded components, the preamp tube sockets are not in the clear at all, they are covered over with components.

Will be interesting to find out what the F&%K it is!

So, today I spoke with someone at Mesa Boogie and emailed them the pictures that I posted here. According to the service tech, who has been there for 20+ years, some of the Caliber series boards were put in upside down. No reason why, but some went out the door that way. I am sending the amp back to Mesa this week for them to go over it and do a restoration/tune-up.

Update - I got a call from Mesa Boogie yesterday and the amp has been restored and will ship out to me early next week. While the chassis was away, I stripped off the tolex that a previous owner decided to spray paint and re-tolexed the cab. I also put new black hardware/corners on. I will post some pics when I get the chassis back. You can see the before and after. :D

Can I ask what Mesa charged you for doing that? I've always wondered if I should send a couple of my old Mesa amps back in for "refurbishing" but the guy on the phone always manages to talk me out of it. He says a 15 year old amp isn't really that old, and if there are no symptoms of problems, why bother?

But I've always wondered what it would cost......or if maybe they would do yours for free (+ cost of shipping) because they might consider it "defective" some how?

Please do post pictures. I have just acquired a DC3 head that I'm tempted to get re-tolexed.

soundchaser59 said:
Can I ask what Mesa charged you for doing that? I've always wondered if I should send a couple of my old Mesa amps back in for "refurbishing" but the guy on the phone always manages to talk me out of it. He says a 15 year old amp isn't really that old, and if there are no symptoms of problems, why bother?

But I've always wondered what it would cost......or if maybe they would do yours for free (+ cost of shipping) because they might consider it "defective" some how?

Please do post pictures. I have just acquired a DC3 head that I'm tempted to get re-tolexed.

Boogie said that not much needed to be done to get the amp in order, so they charged me $100 plus shipping. I will post pics once I get the chassis back.

I was actually surprised that nothing major needed to be done on an amp that is 20+ years old. :eek:

Today, I got my 50 Caliber + chassis back from Mesa Boogie. I can't wait to crank it up. Here are some pictures of the entire ensemble! :lol:

I have to wire up the speakers and then I get to fire it up!!!! I am very pumped!!! I hope you all enjoy the pics!

Latest posts

Back