Quad Guitar Preamp: Can I get Metallica/Lamb of God Sounds?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skoora said:
But didn't they also use Furman EQ's in front and possibly after. Also didn't they slave the IIC's into Marshall head's power sections? So to really get that sound would take quite a bit but I find the character of the sound you can definitely get from the preamp alone and I'd rather keep it simple and fun and it's close enough for when I want to bust out 'tallica type riffage.

yeah, I forgot to mention: I have a very good and transparent 3-band paramtric EQ from the Loop Send on the Quad preamp, and then to Loop Return of a Road King (using all the power tubes 4x6L6+2xEL34). It makes it near identical sounding. Try for instance a Presonus EQ3B EQ, it will work fine!

And, to be honest, I guess I am a little obsessed by nailing those guitar tones :D

MesaGod666 said:
Don't listen to these guys. It's impossible to get Metallica and Lamb of God tones from a Quad preamp. Instead, sell that Quad preamp to me for $100 bucks and we'll forget the topic even came up.

Haha hysterical.

Hate to say it but my Studio pre has not been turned on since I got my MKV a little while ago.

Having owned the a Quad preamp/295 Stereo poweramp along with a Mark III, Mark IV, etc, just be aware that Hetfield and Hammett used Parametric EQ'S with their MarkII C+'s to get that chainsaw/scooped mids sound on Master of Puppets and AJFA stuff. A parametric EQ allows one to CUSTOMIZE the low, mid, and high frequencies of your sound with great flexibility by allowing you to zone in on those frequencies and enhance or dimish them to your liking. The graphic EQ alone on a quad, Mark III etc won't be enough to get that EXACT tone. Moreover, one must also take into account what kind of speakers you are using which comprise at LEAST 60-70% of the overall tone of a rig no matter what style of music you are playing. This CANNOT be overlooked. A lot of people get disappointed with their amp tone due to the wrong choice of speaker employed. I have learned this the hard way and I hope others will chime in on this very important point. Further consideration must take into account the kind of guitar and pickups used. I am NOT saying you cannot APROXIMATE that kind of tone, but I am saying that MORE is involved in getting that tone than just using the preamps/amps alone. Of course, there is also the element of mixing and MASTERING in the studio to further polish the sound which you're are not going to get by just plugging in and playing no matter how great the amp might be. Just my 2 cents here. I am sure others could and can elaborate more here like what kind of speakers do these guitarists use etc.

sonofrocketscientist said:
Post subject: Quad Guitar Preamp: Can I get Metallica/Lamb of God Sounds?

I highly suspect the reason might be, you've become too good of a guitar player for music like that.

Back