The Rectifier FAQ Thread

Discussion area for Single, Dual and Trip Rectifers

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

r0nn!e
Mark II
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: The Rectifier FAQ Thread

Post by r0nn!e » Wed May 02, 2012 7:44 am

I'm gonna do some sound tests today with Triple Recto (2 channel) -> done yesterday.

Is any difference between using of VACUUM TUBES (normal) and SILICON DIODES (hi power)? I mean difference in lifetime of tubes?

And should I change this setting with amp completely OFF or is it OK to be turned ON? (not in operational stand-by mode)

EDIT: OKEY guys, thanks for "no-show" there :mrgreen:

I figured out changing of settings on my own yesterday - POWER ON - STAND-BY OFF. The question about lifetime of tubes is still on my mind though. Anyone?

User avatar
Adambomb
Mark III
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:45 pm
Location: Western KY
Contact:

Re: The Rectifier FAQ Thread (Answers Inside)

Post by Adambomb » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:05 am

fluff191 wrote:
screamingdaisy wrote:I have an Orange 4x12 and I think it sounds like crap next to my Mesa cabs.

And trust me... I've tried really, really hard to like it.

It did sound great with my Orange amps... with Mesa amps though... meh.
Really? Wow interesting.
Yea an Orange cab is pretty much just bass heavy and that's it. They don't project like the Mesa cabs do. Had an Emperor cab that was like and Orange and hated it. It was like we didn't even need a bass player. But I also seen that the OP has different tastes like everybody. I'm Suprised this thread is a sticky. But some good info on the OP's opinion.

User avatar
KiwiJoe
Mark III
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:23 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: The Rectifier FAQ Thread

Post by KiwiJoe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:11 pm

fluff191 wrote:Q: How do I sound like __________ ?

A: Simply, you can't. Tone is in your fingers. But you may be able to get close. Start by setting all your tone controls to NOON (12:00) as a starting point and go from there. It may take hours, it may take days. And no, you can't just go buy an overdrive pedal to make things magically better.
As an old guy but a new guy here, I found this bit the most relevant piece of insight by far. Thanks for the FAQ in general and for putting this right at the outset.

Cheers,
Joe
My Soundcloud
Mini Rectifier, Epi Dot 335
Once I stopped chasing tone, it stopped running away.

User avatar
Gnarkill3k6
Mark II
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:23 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: The Rectifier FAQ Thread

Post by Gnarkill3k6 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:00 am

Great FAQ! I only just discovered it :roll:

The only thing I disagree on is that Mesa cabs are supposed to sound best...

JerEvil
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:37 pm

Re: The Rectifier FAQ Thread

Post by JerEvil » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Yetti wrote:Dont Dial in Settings/Tones with your eyes. Use your ears its what theyre there for!
I can attest to this!

Also, I am running 2 Splawn 2x12 cabs with Celestion Creamback speakers and it sounds massive.

mazzith
Mark I
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:43 pm
Location: Fife WA

Re: The Rectifier FAQ Thread

Post by mazzith » Tue May 28, 2013 12:30 am

I am surprised there was no info on how to date a head via serial in this FAQ.
Guess I'll just take it apart sometime and search for a marker writing inside.
Aaron M
'94 Jackson Kelly Pro Std w/ DiMarzio
'99 MiJ Ibanez RG7621
'07 Brian Moore i2p
'10 Custom Carvin LB76 6 String Bass

Mesa Mark IVb
Mesa 212 Recto Cab V30 and Vet30

User avatar
ryjan
Dual Recto
Posts: 2273
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Blistered Earth

Re: The Rectifier FAQ Thread

Post by ryjan » Tue May 28, 2013 12:09 pm

There's a lot of people on the boards lately that could stand to read this thread. Especially the "my recto doesn't have enough gain".
Mark V:25
Recto 2x12
ESP Explorer

User avatar
fluff191
Donating Member
Posts: 1832
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: Puyallup, WA
Contact:

Re: The Rectifier FAQ Thread

Post by fluff191 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:26 am

haha wow I am surprised people are still commenting on this thread! 8)
Schecter Guitars | Kemper Profiling Amplifier | Superior Drummer | REAPER

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/fluff191
Tunes: http://www.blackmetalbicycle.com

User avatar
jargapix
Donating Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:14 am
Location: Northern, New Jersey
Contact:

Re: The Rectifier FAQ Thread

Post by jargapix » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:45 am

That was pretty awesome info. Thanks for taking the time to write that up.

I came across this on a web OCD & Mesa search or I prob wouldn't have seen it since I belong to the Vintage section. I have a question. I recently picked up a DC-5 and dig it. (I actually had that "I wish I could play it at lower volume" issue and picked up a Jettenuator and it solved that issue. Great investment in my opinion.) I really dig the clean channel on the amp & am finding a sweet spot for the rhythm. The bass doesn't seem to be as tight as I'd like but I think I'll figure it out with more tweaking.

I recently bought an OCD pedal for possibly 2 reasons. I wanted to have a 3rd channel. My plan was to go from clean to OCD for classic rock type sounds and then Hit the amps rhythm channel for a more metal type sound. However, I notice that the OCD on clean is very similar to the rhythm making it kinda redundant. I know this is not technically the right place for this question but maybe someone has experience with that model mesa as well.

Thanks much for your time.
JA

mesaboogie6L6
Mark III
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:03 pm
Location: Dayton Ohio

Re: The Rectifier FAQ Thread

Post by mesaboogie6L6 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:43 pm

mazzith wrote:I am surprised there was no info on how to date a head via serial in this FAQ.
Guess I'll just take it apart sometime and search for a marker writing inside.

While you have it apart, look on the board by the big blue caps (don't touch!) and you will see the revision in gold print, It will read RF-1C, RF-1D, RF-1E, RF-1F or RF-1G. You should also see a date and initials on the inside of the amp by the inputs.
90' Mark III Coliseum blue stripe
95 Triple RevG
96' Triple RevF (2)
04' Recto 4x12
07' Recto 4x12-EVM12L's
09' Mills (2)-4X12-V30
96' Explorer
03' Faded V
13' Government V

chris_barnes
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 1:38 am
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Contact:

Re: The Rectifier FAQ Thread

Post by chris_barnes » Sun May 29, 2016 3:33 am

Hello guys, I'm new to the forum and MESA family. I found this thread very useful. I would like to share one more thing that may be of use to some of you.

Any decent 5 pin cable will work for your dual/triple footswitch. These midi cables cost quite less than an OEM MESA one (which in Europe is around 60 EUR).
In order to survive you've got to earn your respect
The only lessons that you learn are from things that you regret

EooN
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: The Rectifier FAQ Thread

Post by EooN » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:20 pm

chris_barnes wrote:Hello guys, I'm new to the forum and MESA family. I found this thread very useful. I would like to share one more thing that may be of use to some of you.

Any decent 5 pin cable will work for your dual/triple footswitch. These midi cables cost quite less than an OEM MESA one (which in Europe is around 60 EUR).
Hi guys, I'm a fresh Boogie owner too :)

Just wanted to let everybody know that Chris' statement is NOT true, and I learned it the hard way.
Basing on my experience, 5 pin cables will get you as far as to change the channels and light all the lights on the foot controller. The FX loop however will not be activated, despite the fact that the LED on the FS turns on. (worked like this on a 5pin MIDI cable from PROEL)
7-pin cable is the solution to that problem.

User avatar
jonnyf
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:37 am

Re: The Rectifier FAQ Thread

Post by jonnyf » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:54 am

Happy New Year to all Boogie players!

FWIW. I bought a second hand Triple Rectifier back in October 2016 and use it with my Horizontal Rectifier 2x12 cab and it sounds very good. Plenty of huge bottom end but the surprise was how I was able to get a very nice woody jazz tone via the green channel with the dials all set to 1 o'clock using my Jackson USA KE2 equipped with an EMG 85 in the neck.

As for the the Orange channel, it sounds as awesome as it did on my Dual Rectifier (Sold in 2016) but the Red channel, I feel does sound better on my Triple than on my old Dual. In fact I play almost exclusively on the Red channel on the Triple and again with the controls all set to 1 o'clock.

As far as hearing a popping noise when changing channel using the footswitch, I have not noticed it on my Triple Rec but it does make a popping noise when using the channel selector knob on the rear panel of the amp.

Anyway, overall, I am very happy with my Triple Rec.
It's time to Boogie.

woodbutcher65
Mark III
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: The Rectifier FAQ Thread

Post by woodbutcher65 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:17 pm

Q: Can I pull (4) power tubes out of my Triple Recto to make it 50 watts so I can play in my bedroom?

A: No.

This information is incorrect. Yes, you CAN do that. Even Mesa says so. There are no negative consequences to the output transformer's loading or windings by NOT having all possible tube sockets populated.

However, you have to leave the installed tubes in pairs. Although there is no technical reason why you can't install one tube of the pair in any given output tube socket and install the other tube of the pair in any other given socket on the other side of the transformer, it's a very good practice to preserve the recommended pairing.

On a Triple Rectifier, as seen from the back, the output tube sockets would be numbered 1 thru 6 from left to right. Pairs would be 1 and 6 for the outer pair, 2 and 5 for the middle pair, 3 and 4 for the inner pair.

The reason why it's safe to run without tubes in all sockets is because all the tubes on that side of the transformer just connect to the same winding. There's nothing extra inside the transformer that would be missing its load.

However this does reduce transformer loading and you would want to move your speaker connection to a lower impedance tap just for safety. That means connect your 8 ohm cabinet to a 4 ohm jack instead of the 8 ohm jack.

Post Reply