what are the fillmore speakers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Authorized Boogie said:
Eliminating the high-end fizz associated with the current V30's was a major goal in the development of the Fillmore 75. Thanks!

Awesome! Now I'll eventually have to have at least one cab with one of these bad boys in it.

Are your v30s still going to be available? Their sound currently is an industry standard for high gain (How many guys play whatever assortment of amp heads through a Mesa 4 x 12. I think your 4 x 12 is even more popular than your amps) and I'd argue it is iconic. Iconic enough to warrant having one.

A 2 x 12 with a fillmore 75 and a OEM v30 would be ideal because it would allow either option in the studio...

Thanks to Mesa for domestic R&D and buying American. I am VERY EXCITED to hear that the 'Filmore' is finally a reality at Mesa. I remember that the Lone Star was originally touted to have featured 'Filmores' and I can only hope that they turn out to be the perfect speaker for the Lone Star . . . Because I never found that one perfect-sonic-fit speaker for it. Our ears are different . . Our likes and dislikes different. Sound is very subjective and personal ; so no doubt others have found the perfect speaker to please their ears . I found a bunch of speakers that worked well in the Lone Star . . Including Mesa's own Black Shadow , Celestion G12T75 , G12K85 , Vintage 30 , EVM-12 , JBL D/E 120 AND MORE ! They all worked , but I usually resorted to mixed pairings to obtain the sound sought after; necesitating the use of 2 speakers in an application where 1 miit have been preferred. Hoping the 'Filmore' will be that one speaker that does it all. I like the G12T75 a lot; but the mids are a bit too scooped. Mesa C90 a touch too muddy; but with nice complexity. Vintage 30 has too pronounced a midrange. Sounds as if the 'Filmore' may well correct all these problems. Maybe it is the 'Goldilocks' speaker. . Porridge not too hot . . Not too cold. Bed not too soft . . Not too hard. I hope for the opportunity to find out soon . . Cause I just looked in on my Lone Stars . . And they implored me to get them some Filmores with that " Please Daddy " look in their soulful baby-blue pilot lights ! Who could resist ? Cheers, Charles Reeder

The English V30 is integral to many of the quintessential Boogie tones and has been for years. No one here can deny that fact. So imagine the management meeting at M/B when Celestion announced moving production for nearly their entire product line to China? We as Boogie-philes are a discerning bunch...it's all in the esoterica and that's why we love M/B. The smallest detail ends up being the secret sauce in many of our signature tones which took us years, decades, or even a lifetime to develop. Despite Celestion's claims of an identical product from the new facility, we all know the truth...NOT! There's only one Celestion and only one V30 and it's a crucial ingredient to the M/B magic. How can the future of our amp brand be secured if a sole source of a critical component is wavering in design or availability? Answer: find a second source.

Personally, I wouldn't expect M/B to set out to duplicate the V30; that would be self defeating in 2 ways: 1.) innovate, don't perpetuate, and 2.) don't cut off your nose to spite your face by ticking-off Celestion with a V30 "clone". Fillmore line is probably the next evolution of Boogie tone definition, so what were the design parameters? How can I work this into my rig? Granted, it's not publicly available yet, but this is what market spin is for! Whet our tone whistle. Umm...you know what I mean. :mrgreen:

I really like the sound of this. Ive been shopping speakers. I think Im gonna have to wait and hear this speaker. I wonder if it will be affordable.

Authorized Boogie said:
domct203 said:
Any insight as to when these will be available for individual purchase and the price?

Dom

Hi Dom,

More info will be coming soon as to price and raw frame availability. Thanks!

Is it "soon" yet :D ?

FWIW, I am still really struggling with my Rectoverb 25 with the Fillmore. I just ordered a Mesa V30 in the mail to replace it and see how much is from the cabinet and how much is speaker. When I A/B the Rectoverb with my Mini Recto into a recto 2x12 I am much happier with the latter.

I have to crank the treble control on the RV25 to get any high-end at all, and it is very muddy. If I back off on the bass it improves, but the I lose all the low-end.

Granted, it is completely unfair to compare a small 1x12 open-back combo to a 2x12 sealed cab. But my open-back 4x10 sounds better, too.

I will leave comments when I try it.

OK, I tried it. I put a brand-new Mesa V30 into the RV25 combo. The tone only changed slightly towards the classic V30 tone. To the best of my ability, the tone was dominated by the cabinet.

I had posted that the Fillmore is a LOT different from the V30. I am currently willing to believe that it is not that extreme, just a bit different, based on the small amount of change that I heard in my poor A/B comparison. The V30 seems to have a bit more upper mid, and that's about it.

Just an FYI: I've been in contact with Eminence about their MB OEM speakers and got this:

the old Mesa speaker did not get revived. Mesa has gone in this direction: This new speaker is our closest offering to what Mesa is using. http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=CV-75

I am sorry we do not have exactly what you are looking for.

Hmmm.... CV-75 and FM-75. The backs look identical and the names are very similar. Ignoring cosmetics, I wonder if they're the same speaker.

CV-75--1_zpsbc133c4e.jpg

fm75.jpg

DangerMoney said:
Just an FYI: I've been in contact with Eminence about their MB OEM speakers and got this:

the old Mesa speaker did not get revived. Mesa has gone in this direction: This new speaker is our closest offering to what Mesa is using. http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=CV-75

I am sorry we do not have exactly what you are looking for.

Hmmm.... CV-75 and FM-75. The backs look identical and the names are very similar. Ignoring cosmetics, I wonder if they're the same speaker.

CV-75--1_zpsbc133c4e.jpg

fm75.jpg

Although they share some construction similarities, such as using the rolled speaker frame for this model, they are not identical speakers. Thanks!

Authorized Boogie said:
Although they share some construction similarities, such as using the rolled speaker frame for this model, they are not identical speakers. Thanks!
Is Mesa any closer to selling these speakers individually? It's been a few months since I asked and I am still curious to try these in one of my Recto 4X12's.

Thanks,
Dom

According to MB's website they're available now:

http://mesaboogie.com/news/2013/11/mesa-boogie-fillmore-75-speakers/

Boogie April 14, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Hi Eric –

The Fillmore 75 speaker is IN STOCK and available to be ordered either as a raw frame replacement speaker or with any MESA cabinet where you’d prefer that speaker.

You can order it via your local dealer or distributor OR – if you are in the USA, you can order it direct from MESA. Contact your local dealer or call MESA Customer Service and they can get you taken care of.

Hope you’re digging’ the Recto-Verb 25 and the Mini Rec Extension!

Boogie

I called MB customer service during business hours and had to leave a message because no one in CS was around. After a seven days they finally called me back. Hmmm....

I asked what the price is on the Fillmore FM-75 and was put on hold. After about a minute he got back on the phone and said "$129". During the entire conversation he didn't seem too interested in "customer service".

DangerMoney said:
I called MB customer service during business hours and had to leave a message because no one in CS was around. After a seven days they finally called me back. Hmmm....

I asked what the price is on the Fillmore FM-75 and was put on hold. After about a minute he got back on the phone and said "$129". During the entire conversation he didn't seem too interested in "customer service".

This and worse is the treatment I have received from them on numerous occasions. I love my Heartbreaker, but Mesa customer service is lacking. Right down there with Crate and Fender. I have learned to figure it out myself or go to a tech if I can't. The best customer service I have found is from Peavey.

Back