Reverb Pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal-Mesa

Reaction score
Hey guys I got a Mesa Dual Rectifier and I want a reverb pedal to run. What is a good pedal without breaking the bank?

What kind of reverb sound are you wanting? Simple spring? Studio plate? Lush modulated verb? You can search the web for reverb pedals just as well as I can, but with a more specific goal I'd live to give a few suggestions.

I like the EH stuff personally. The Nano Holy Grail is really simple, straight to the point and well built. I'm not sure you could call it the "best", but it's a workhorse.

TC makes a nice reverb with lots of options that doesn't cost that much... twice as much would be something by Strymon. Those pedals are fantastic.

Hardwire RV7 is a pretty good pedal for it's price. I liked it better than pedals that were double the price.

Anything could be considered too expensive depending on how you define "breaking the bank"

The Neunaber "Wet" reverb pedal. One of the best reverb pedals. Mono version is ~$150 used

The TC "Hall of Fame" reverb pedal is very nice too. ~$120 used

The Electro Harmonix "Holy Grail" reverb - Very functional, simple and effective ~$75 used

Check the post "quality pedals" in the non-boogie classified..

There is a TC Hall of Fame for sale used for $100. Pretty good deal.

I have a Strymon Blue Sky verb - sounds so amazing and really well built. I used to own a TC g-system and they have some really nice reverbs - I'm guessing the single pedal TC stuff (like the Hall of Fame verb) is similar, but I've never tried one...

Another vote for the HardWire RV-7, great pedal, great sounds, and despite the name, it's actually true bypass.

Cory said:
I have a Strymon Blue Sky verb - sounds so amazing and really well built. I used to own a TC g-system and they have some really nice reverbs - I'm guessing the single pedal TC stuff (like the Hall of Fame verb) is similar, but I've never tried one...

Why did you change G System? I cannot decide which way to go G Major 2 or G System as multieffect setup or separate effect pedals. Which path will suck tone less?

The G-system post-gain effects were awesome and fairly transparent, but the pre-gain portion just sucks (for lack of a better word). It was very noisy and sucked tone big time - I even had the iB modded black version and it still "sucked" - I endlessly tweaked and tried every trick in the book to get it right, but everytime I plugged straight into my amp I would get so frustrated with the G because of how bad it changed my tone - it really cut a lot of bottome end off. Plus, I just decided I wanted a simpler set up since I don't use many effects anyways.

Here's my current board (and I love it!). All true bypass and zero tone coloration!

013_zpscdb250f0.jpg

I had a Mr. Black Supermoon. It's a great pedal, imo, that can do a really nice, natural sounding "traditional" reverb, but it has a decay knob that allows you to dial in up to 30 seconds of trail that modulates up in pitch as it decays.

I just found that I really prefer a bit of delay if I want a bit more ambiance or space, and since the DD-7 is so much more versatile (looping, slapback, digital/analog optional, reverse delay, etc.) than a reverb pedal, it didn't make sense to have both. If you're into reverb though, I don't think you can go wrong with the Supermoon.

KiwiJoe said:
I just found that I really prefer a bit of delay if I want a bit more ambiance or space

Ditto, especially for lead tones - I used to have plenty of reverb but now I added a short "1 and a half" repetition delay and it sounds much more clear but still wide.

Although I love reverb, I agree that just a bit of delay with lead tones is the way to go - I have my delay set similar to Jackie and it's pretty subtle, but it still adds that fullness to beef up solos. Reverb sounds pretty cool with a slow, drawn out solo (think Gilmore) - but it can mush up your note separation when playing fast (especially w/ heavy distortion). Just like any effect, it shouldn't over power your guitar - but just add some subtle texture to you playing (at least in my opinion).

Latest posts

Back