Boss tu2 bypass issues in effects loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illswando86

Reaction score
Has anyone put a tuner (I guess specifically and Boss TU2) in the effects loop and had issues with the signal not muting while tuning? Is it a bad idea to put the tuner in the loop?

What amp? Even series loops may not send 100% of the signal through so you may get some bleed through. Most people keep the tuners out front or feed them with tuner-outs where available.

Stereo Preamp. I've had some other issues with the loop. Every once in a while when I'm not running anything in the loop one of the channels will drop out. It doesn't drop out entirely but the bass frequencies disappear and the volume is cut big time. As I understand, it's because the loop is in series and if any dust gets in the A and B return jacks they'll basically short. If it is cutting the signal at the loop but I still hear something, what you say about it not sending 100% of the signal through makes perfect sense. I just wanted to avoid another cable, but I guess I'll need to find another spot for it in the chain. Thanks.

You typically would not want to run a tuner in the effects loop. A tuner should be your first pre-gain effects pedal - basically you want it first so it's the purest signal straight from your guitar to the tuner - this is ensure the most accurate tune. If you run other pedals in front of your tuner (or run it through your effects loop) you will slightly distort/change your signal, which could lead to an inaccurate tune. Also, a lot of tuners have a built in buffer (unless it's true bypass) which is another good reason to have it first in your pre-gain chain (a buffer will help with signal degradation). I'm almost positive the boss tuner is buffered - put it out front for the best results!

Back