Random Mark V chat...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
screamingdaisy said:
Kind of a crappy picture, but it should help the explanation.

Top 1x12 cab is a G12M-25, open back.
Bottom 1x12 cab is a Mesa V30, front ported.

Whats the Gibson on the right? Pickups?

Thanks

SD, I am glad the change to EL34s has "reinspired" your enjoyment of the MkV! :D
I have switched between 6L6's and EL34's in the past and while the EL34 option is certainly not bad......I prefer the sound offered with 6L6's in this amp, but that is just me.

Who knows, one day the Mark V might actually be given credit for being extremely versatile....AND a great sounding amp!! :D I noticed it right away as did others.

It's kind of odd... I've also switched back and forth a few times and will say that I prefer 6L6s with the closed back Recto cabs yet dislike them with the mini-stack.

I've put the EL34s through their paces today, high and low volume, variac on/off, 10, 45 and 90w modes.... They all sound good, which is odd because with the whole reason I ditched EL34s previously was because I didn't like the way they sounded on anything other than full power.

Guess it comes down to the voicing of the speaker/cabs. The V30 loaded in the bottom cab is producing the punch you'd expect from a Mesa cab while that G12M-25 is producing some screaming harmonics.

SD,

No question in my mind that the cab choice makes a big difference with this amp or any other for that matter. Even though I own the combo....I have played it through my 212 recto cab (just like it was a MkV head) with very good "but different" results.

I know that I am mostly alone here, but my preference is the MkV combo with the external 112 cab.......sounds terrific to me for my needs.

All said, I am pleased that you are finding new inspiration with your MkV however you are achieving it, and I highly respect your inputs on this forum.

Rock On! 8)

Can't believe it's been almost a year.

Update... I reloaded the bottom 1x12 with a second G12M-25 a few weeks ago, so the mini stack is now all Greenbacks. The sound is outstanding.

I generally liked the V30 in the bottom cab, but there was always something a little off in its response that made it feel not quite right. It's probably that the port isn't tuned for a V30, but who knows. Either way it sounds better now than it did with the V30 in it.

One of these days I would really like to get my hands on a Greenback loaded 4x12.

Additionally, the best low volume sound I've managed to achieve is by mixing the Recto 4x12 with the 1x12 open back. The V30s provide a solid foundation, but tend to sound dull and over-dampened at low volumes. That Greenback loaded 1x12 opens things up, providing increased top end sizzle without sounding brittle or fizzy and adding much needed space to the sound.

The above works even better with Rectos than it does the Mark V.

Maybe a little off topic, but I think the Mark V in 10 watt mode is the best sounding tube amp I have ever played at low volume. Don't get me wrong, opening it up a bit sounds even better, but it still has an " urgency" and " authority" that are lost with most amps at low volume. The "mid centric" voice of the gain channels used to bother me- but I realize this is the signature of the Mark and part of the reason it commands it's unique place in a full band mix. This amp is freaking brilliant. A true "voice" for a guitarist. And I really like the c90 112 with it. Small and easy on the carry, but enough stones to demand your attention. I should have done this years ago. Guess I'll just have to make up for that lost time.

Not sure if anything Mark V related can be off topic in a random Mark V Chat thread. :)

Anyway, I'm going to agree with you. It took me a long time to appreciate 10w mode, but the truth is that in the past I never had to. I lived in a single home and could run any amp I wanted wide open, and lets face it... when you're used to running the amp at earth shaking volumes 10w mode is rather... uninspiring.

Recently I moved into a duplex and now share a wall with my neighbour. Lower volume playing has become a fact of life and in this situation I've really come to appreciate 10w mode and what it can do for me. It has a certain dynamic response that isn't present when the higher wattage modes are turned down.

Its funny in a way; I used to be all about maximum headroom, and here I am squashing my Mark V with variac, tube rectifiers and triode mode. It took some adjusting to the way the amp articulates fully sagged, but now that I've grown accustomed to it full power seems stiff and sterile by comparison.

I think the MC90 is a great speaker, it's just not my voice and has never sat right with me.

Totally agree with both Lasky & SD on the seductiveness of 10W mode - for me, it was THE way into really appreciating the MKV and it's outstanding versatility. Came close to selling it twice, but thankfully did not get the deal I wanted before hitting the road again. I kept it and persevered, constantly being drawn back into trying new settings to the point where it has become my go-to head. The last thing I want to do now is sell

It was clearly meant to be, as I have now found my sound in all 3 channels using 10 / 45W modes, and cannot get past it. Ironically, my LSC is now up for sale - thanks to the V, it doesn't get the playtime an amp like that deserves, so needs a new home

+1 on the whole 10W thing.

I've been absolutely ecstacic lately with my new Mark V. I've never been this excited about an amp before. It seems to be capable of anything.

Been having it at home for the past week and while I could blast it not having to worry much about neighbours I've been keeping it on the low for the sake of a healthy marriage :wink:

And to be honest, the 10W and Variac power has been jawflooring me again and again!! Been keeping it on the Edge mode and the Mark I mode for the most part. Really open and bluesy.

I had the hardest time with the Mark I mode at first cause it was so bassy but turning the bass knob all the way to the left and using moderate gain has it singing.

I have to say that the 10W on this amp make it the best sounding low volume amp I've ever had or played. Simply Amazing.

I'm still using Fat and Crunch, but I've found myself bringing the gain down quite a bit lately. It seems I'm going for more of a driven Fender or early Plexi vibe than the stereotypically Metallica sort of sound I typically go for.

Channel 3 has shifted from Mark IV to IIC+ due to it's clearer, less saturated lead sound that seems to better compliment the just past the edge of breakup tone I've been dialling in on channel 2.

It's interesting how 10w mode gives these settings real depth and character. On the 45/90 modes I typically found these lower gain settings kind of bland and stiff, even when I ran the amp fairly loud and used triode or the tube rectifier. The G12M-25s are of course assisting, providing a killer top end detail and a softness that V30s don't have. Overall I'm pretty impressed at this turn of events.

Very interesting ! ScreamingDaisy, please continue to post your insights. Just read the one about keeping channel masters lower while turning up the output. That's a great observation, can't wait to try it out once my amp is back from the shop.

So, by reading this thread and especially about the 10 watt part, I went to my church and used the settings mentioned above. WoW!!!

Great tone!

Thanks.

Screaming Daisy I found the same thing with channel vs master it makes a big difference I have my channel on mark 4 mode around 10:30.

Channel 2. I needed a second clean channel but with a tiny amount of dirt
It Really cuts through the mix. You have to play around with the Gain to get enough volume out of the channel without it breaking up.
Edge mode
Gain 9:00
Master 1:30
Presence almost all the way off
Treb 10:30
Mid Almost all the way off
Bass 7:00
Using the EQ on in V pattern.

As far as cabs go I tried a ton of different combinations. 4x12 marshall loaded with v30's. Added a Genz Benz 2x12 ported cab. Tried Different Mesa cabs but came back to the old 4x12 mesa cab with the top half open and metal grill. The original owner sealed it up and loaded it with C90's This is the cab that looks like a straight 4x12 it has a shelf on top but is really a slant. Its heavy as hell but its worth all the hassle If you ever get a chance try the older mesa cabs closed up with c90s or ev's you will never look back.

I've been laid up with a hernia (back) for a few weeks, unable to get to practices for either of my bands, rough few weeks. So I've been reading a lot online and watching this thread pretty closely, (and lurking on this board) -making notes about how I might improve my sound when I got back. I'm very happy with my Mark V and was really at a point where I wasn't tweaking the knobs too much anymore, if anything just the overall volume, and minor reverb and 3 band EQ stuff to match the rooms or other instruments.

One band is throwback 80s-90s style Trash/Crossover. The other is a 70s and 80s punk cover band. Mainly the thrash band is channel 3, Extreme or Mark IV, and the punk cover band is channel 2, Crunch. Channel 1 gets very little use. 90 watts, 5 band EQ, in a moderate "V" for all 3 channels. I was riding the channel master high, 12 o'clock, if not a little higher and keeping the master volume lower as a result, the Solo knob could barely be touched, a millimetre above the zero position was too loud. It worked, but I wanted more control.

Based on the recommendations in this forum, I went back to experimenting with the Preset EQ knobs and started running the Master volume higher and channel masters lower, what a change, I really liked how the gain opened up, less saturation, but still brutal, the Solo function became livelier as well, the knob could go a lot higher and I have much more control over it's function.

Man this amp is something, with my old Marshalls and Hiwatts, I'd find a setting, and that would be the end of the knob turning for years. The Mark V has so much character and control you can keep experimenting and finding new sounds and ways to use the amp.

Thanks, now you guys can go back to talking about the 10 and 45 watt modes. :)

So for maximum gain saturation, it's better to lower the channels and crank the main volume, or is it vice versa?

Marks gain is from the preamp circuit, which is why it sounds great at low volume- I'm not completely positive that volume impacts the actual saturation that much or simply amplifies it when taken higher. Someone else can chime in who has more expertise

Back