DC5 (now with pics!) and another footswitch question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLYING V 83

Reaction score
Howdy everyone!
My first post, just joined because I just scored a DC5 off ebay for $560!
I think it's the 'newer' version, as it doesn't have the rotary switch on the back for assigning the EQ, but has a 2-position toggle for rhythm/lead.
Front panel has rhythm/lead/lead EQ 3-position toggle.

Has the original 90W Black Shadow, single button footswitch & slip cover.
My questions are:
Assuming the single footswitch goes into the front panel 'footswitch' jack to change channels, do I use another single for the reverb/eq jack in the rear?
Or can I use a 2-button one with a stereo cable (ala Switchdoctor) that has separate reverb & EQ switches?
Or...can I use the 3-button DC3 'original' model that has channel, reverb & EQ with 2 separate cables, one a mono for chanel switching, the other a stereo for reverb/EQ switching?

For reference, I'll be using the clean channel mainly and running my pedalboard into it.
I've never used the effects loop on any amp I've ever owned, just don't believe in them.

Current gigging amp is a mid-80s Peavey heritage VTX 212 which is loud a hell, but weighs in at 93lbs and at 57 years old it's becoming too much to deal with.

Always wanted a Mesa and thought the DC5 would fill the bill for gigging.
(We're all old farts & don't play at ear-splitting levels, mostly weekend bar gigs)

All my guitars are 2-humbucker types, an LP Custom, SG standard (both white) and a Flying V.
Here's my pedalboard:
100_1584.jpg

Any help is appreciated, and I'm sure you'll be seeing me here often.
(Been on TGP & Tonefactor for years under the same moniker)

I can't be of any help with the switch problem but from the post I've read on this board there are plenty of very intelligent 'gear' guys who can point you in the right direction.

The one thing I can tell you after owning this amp for the past couple of months is that it takes pedals incredibly well, you will be very happy with how your board sounds running the clean channel. As for the effects loop I never ran pedals through the effects loop either and most of the amps I used didn't have loops anyway but I've been really impressed the effects loop on the DC and I'm now running the chorus and delay in the loop. You might want to give it a try.....you never know.

Enjoy the amp!

if you bought an amp then you asked what to expect, why to put a picture of your pedalboard? show us the amp !!!

It's here!! :D

MESADC5.jpg

DC5BACK.jpg

Going to take it downstairs now & give it a run.
Still going to order the dual channel/eq footswitch and a single one for reverb, as I want all 3 functions available.
I don't think the single it came with is original to the DC5, but will try it anyway just to see.
The cover seems a little big for it also, so might grab an aftermarket one down the line.

Anyone know where I can get the aluminum brace for the back since it didn't come with one?

Just got done annoying the neighbors. :D

This lil' sucker is LOUD!!!

Anywhere past 2 on the Global and I'll wake the dead.

All functions work, got a sweet clean tone and of course, a killer Recto gain.

Already sold the Bogner Blue pedal to offset the cost, and may not need the Megalith Delta either.....

One question about the footswitch it came with:
There's two jacks on one side. Bottom one activates the LED and changes channels, top one does nothing.
What's it for? Silent recording channel switching? 2nd amp?
Nothing in the manual or on the website about it, and I'm pretty sure it's not the one supposed to come with a DC5
The footswitch does work the reverb on/off in the bottom jack but the LED doesn't light doing so.

Going to get a 2-button switch using a TRS stereo cable for channel/eq through the front jack & use the Mesa 1-button for reverb on/off.

I believe that is what is for to control the Reverb.

The reverb on/off is controlled by simply taking Pin 7 of V5 to ground. There are no relays involved with this. So a simple stop switch can complete the circuit to ground, and mute the reverb circuit. Fender has been doing it this way for 60 years or so.

You need the Channel/EQ switch, and then you can use your other switch to control the reverb. The Channel/EQ switch will plug into the front with a TRS cable and allow you to switch off the EQ as well. With an LED for that too.

The LED will not work with the channel switch you have on just the reverb, as the reverb line does not provide enough voltage to power LEDs. If you want an LED, you will have to go with external power, or get creative and add a powered switch relay for the reverb. This is what I did with my DC3. It keeps the reverb signal in the chassis, doesn't jack with the sound of the reverb. I was also able to add an LED to the chassis for Reverb, and an LED in the footswitch that are powered by the cable from the amp.

Check Hoffman amps dot com for information on the powered relay setup. It's about 30 bucks and an afternoon of your time with a soldering iron.

You need the footswitch to the right in the pic below:

AAF944CB-F216-4088-A8FD-3FBC9963ADB7-16908-00000293C8B1BA2D_zps85a9a35f.jpg

Chassis LED:

91E52FA2-A3BC-4BB0-92FD-88036E68A3F3-16908-00000293EE5BFC02_zpsd8807dc5.jpg

Internal of Switched Relay:

EE48D58A-53D2-4ACD-A083-760B1208DC62-4375-000004FB43FE8397_zps68cdb324.jpg

Thanks Bendo, but I'm not inclined to do any mods to the amp at all.
The 1-button footswitch works the reverb, just doesn't light the LED so I'm OK with that (I can hear if the reverb is on or not)

Ordered this one along with a 25ft right-angle TRS cable:
Mesa20Boogie20DC520Series20220Footswitch20.jpg

FLYING V 83 said:
It's here!! :D

Flying V 83!

Welcome to the boogie board! Good to see you found your way over here!

Where have I seen that DC 5 before? :roll: :D :D

Really glad to hear that you are enjoying your new rig!
Boogies Rule!!!

FLYING V 83 said:
Anyone know where I can get the aluminum brace for the back since it didn't come with one?

Get some Aluminum U channel, maybe at home depot, lowes etc. Cut to length, drill some holes in it and you are good to go.
You can do a search on google, Amazon.com,

links below:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=u+channel+aluminum&tag=googhydr-20&index=industrial&hvadid=13365880307&hvpos=1s3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1757364024404889960&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9gpz0ntj21_b

https://www.google.com/search?q=aluminum+u+channel&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

Cheers,

Tom

MESADC5.jpg

Hi Tom!
Guess we're one of the few regulars left on the TF boards, huh?

Did my first gig with the DC5 on Friday and it sounded great!
Had the channel volumes @ 3 & master just below 2 and it was drowning out the band.
:D

Graphic EQ works great as a volume/solo punch, will probably use it that way.
Did two 75 min. sets and it never broke a sweat, no 'getting hot' problems, just pure tube tone for days!
Took all my pedals well (never use loops on amps so everything's thru the front).
Not a bad thing to say about my new gigging amp.

Thanks for the tip on the U-channel stuff, might not even bother as it sits just fine on my tilt-back stand.

It came with a nice woven Mesa cover but it's too wide (27") for the DC5, looks more like a 2x12 cover.
Ordered the right one from Mesa & will take pix & put the other one up in the Classifieds.

Here's my new gigging rig set up in my basement
(sorry, not a 'glamour shot' at all :) )

100_1665.jpg

Here's the Switch Doctor switch (got it 5 days after ordering) mounted on the board,
and the old channel switch renamed for it's new duties:
45af1eea-550a-4956-b20c-c83c1a137d9f.jpg

FV83,

I'm totally stoked that the boogie is working out for you. I have to say that this thread and the thread at TF has sparked a Gas attack for a boogie combo. So thanks for that LMAO!

The rig looks great the way you have it angled on the stand. I probably should have done that when I had mine. Do you notice any low end loss by taking it off the floor?

Regarding the aluminum U channel. Your tubes look awfully exposed to me. God forbid that your amp fell off the stand and took a hit the wrong way. (drunk guy at a gig checking out the gear etc...),I would be afraid that those sockets would take some force and pop those out of the mount. You also have to consider the safety of absent minded groupies that are too ignorant to know that a vaccum tube gets really toasty hot :lol: I would personally spend the 15 bucks for peace of mind, but that's just me. I'm tempted to just send you some for my peace of mind. =)

Good lookin set up!

Cheers,

Tom

Hey Tom,
Haven't noticed any low end loss at all, it still has that "whump" to it. :D
Still on the fence about the U-channel, couldn't find anything decent at Home Depot.

The stand has two uprights which brace against the lower panel only, and trust me, NO ONE gets near my gear at gigs!
(you think female tigers are protective of their cubs? you haven't seen me!)

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Glad you're digging your DC5! I discovered this amp well over a decade ago, and other amps have come and gone, but this one has been my main gigger ever since. Just too versatile and rockin an amp!

From what I gather, you've got the output master knob at around 2 and you've set the indiv channel masters set according to desired volume. Try this: the Master output knob set high around 7-8 and the indiv channel outputs set low according to desired volume. Then try somewhere in between. What you're doing is choosing between more preamp section tone vs power amp section tone, vice versa, and in between. Experiment here as the subtle difference is worth noting.

Also, on the clean channel, try raising the mids knob, first to 3, then higher which will add dirt; balance this added gain with backing off the first gain knob. The difference you'll be hearing is gain being fed into the signal chain earlier or later in the preamp section.

Enjoy! I love mine ...a serious tone monster, yet in the marketplace is a sleeper of an amp that doesn't get the love it deserves. Which is fine by me since it allowed me way back when to pick it up for a song :)

Edward

Thanks for the tips Edward!
I tried getting a nice "basic crunch" from the clean channel using the volumes, but
I really like it more as a base tone for my pedals, and use the EQ as a solo punch if needed.

Everyone in the band says the Mesa is a huge improvement in my tone, and it's actually very manageable using Masters on 2 and controlling volumes with the individuals.

Might swap out the reverb tube as I have to set them @ 7 to get some healthy reverb out of her, but other than that I'm totally happy with my DC5! :D

FLYING V 83 said:
Thanks for the tips Edward!
I tried getting a nice "basic crunch" from the clean channel using the volumes, but
I really like it more as a base tone for my pedals, and use the EQ as a solo punch if needed.

Everyone in the band says the Mesa is a huge improvement in my tone, and it's actually very manageable using Masters on 2 and controlling volumes with the individuals.

Might swap out the reverb tube as I have to set them @ 7 to get some healthy reverb out of her, but other than that I'm totally happy with my DC5! :D

I have found the JJ 12AT7s sound really good in the DC3 reverb driver. Reliable too.

Back