A B Switch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lesdavaz2

Reaction score
I want to switch between my Mark III for lead and a Roccaforte 30 for rhythm. I have tried cheap switches that just don't work. Like everyone else, I am looking for something at a reasonable price that closely approximates just unplugging from one and into another. Any ideas? Lehle may be the ultimate solution, but they are out of my price range.

lesdavaz2 said:
I want to switch between my Mark III for lead and a Roccaforte 30 for rhythm. I have tried cheap switches that just don't work. Like everyone else, I am looking for something at a reasonable price that closely approximates just unplugging from one and into another. Any ideas? Lehle may be the ultimate solution, but they are out of my price range.
Oops was just going to suggest Lehle as imho they are the ultimate solution.

Maybe try T1M ("This ones mine").
From all I've read he makes very good quality stuff. And is pretty good guy too.
http://this1smyne.com/shop/category/routers/

Whirlwind makes an AB box. I can't speak to the quality because I don't own one, but Whirlwind generally makes great stuff. Probably not as nice as Voodoo Lab or Lehle, but more affordable.

I bought one from Taylor Guitars to go with my T5. They recommended it for doing AB for Acoustic to Electric stuff. I never really used it for that, but I have used it for my electric to plug into my Roadster and Lonestar at the same time. It has 1 really nice feature that allows you to see which amp is selected A or B so that when you switch from both, you know which one you are switching back to. Not overpriced at $89 either.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylorware/Item.aspx?itemid=1102&categoryid=1011&page=1

gonzo said:
ALSO LOOK AT RADIAL
I am probably going to buy a Radial Big Shot as the best value, although users have observed (and Radial admits) there is a tone drop. One poster said that any pedal ahead of it with a buffer (whatever that means), will compensate for that. Radial says that you just compensate with the amp's tone controls.

Thanks everyone.

capnlee said:
Whirlwind makes an AB box. I can't speak to the quality because I don't own one, but Whirlwind generally makes great stuff. Probably not as nice as Voodoo Lab or Lehle, but more affordable.

Thanks. I have tried a Whirlwind and it creates the buzz from hell. So bad I just can't stand it.

Cheap AB switches usually don't do the job as they induce hum loops.
Used to be you needed an isolating transformer on 1 of your amps.

Since the arrival of 3PDT foot switches there is another way.
What I do is:
1. Switch the hot wires (all AB boxes do that)
2. Short out the "off" amp feed (most AB boxes do that)
3. Use the extra DT to auto lift the ground of the "off" amp. By this I mean disconnect the input ground from any ground connect to the "off". This does not disconnect the actual ground to either amp.

This does cure all noises and works fine although it can't be used if you want the option of both amps on.

I can post an image if you want to try it.

Latest posts

Back