Eventide Eclipse in Live Rack

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriAxis6

Reaction score
Hi Folks out there in Tone Land!

I've had the pleasure of owning an Eventide Eclipse for about 3 years now. However, it was pretty much used in the studio and never saw the "light of stage"...I never integrated it into my live "A" rig which is primarily a Tri/2:90 with a recto 4x12. Being that I rehearse and play with a band more than I record, I thought it was a waste to have such a divine piece of gear sitting in a studio rack, so I made a decision to yank it out of the studio (sorry guys) and replace my effects unit with it.

I decided to start from scratch meaning I decided to rework every Tri patch I had. I was not going to share patches anymore, meaning that I was not going to use the same program mapped for different songs. Each song would get it's own Tri patch, even if it was a copy of another one. I did this because sometimes a mapped/shared patch would be too loud or too soft in one song, but fit perfectly in another. Having a TriAxis means you have total control and should not have to sacrifice volume and EQ settings as you would on a head or any other non-programmable piece of amplification.

Another thing I needed to consider was that the Eclipse sounds different compared to the other effects unit, so all my dialed in sounds would need some EQ tweaking too. And to make matters "worse" I decided to stop using an Abacus, and now use the All Access Touring controller. I was tired of remembering where the 40-50 something patches I had lived. With the All Access you can program songs and patches inside of songs, so everything has a name is is within the first 5 buttons on 1 row...a way slicker solution that in itself takes a while to program.

So my question to the board is does anyone have a decent amount of experience using the Eclipse live? What were you using, and what are your views on the change. I am aware that the Eclipse takes more time to load because of the massive number crunching it is doing...that's why is sounds like angels. I'm willing to live with this as it is not a deal breaker.

FYI and before you ask, I have the latest version of the Eclipse, with all the software updates and patches. After speaking with Eventide they told me that this is pretty much as fast as this unit will load. Some programs load faster and without issue...it is all based on the algorithms loading. And yes...I have an Axe-FX II, but that stays in the studio for laying down good sounding scratch tracks quickly and without the need for setup of a conventional rig! :)

I'd love to hear any comments from the board, and please talk about your rig and how you run the Eclipse.

Thanks!

I like the sounds from the Eclipse. Great unit, w/ lots of power and features which provide for lots of options. I use an Eventide too, but a different animal (H8000FW). I have built and programmed a few rigs which utilize the Eclipse, among other devices-- w/ a stereo line mixer, and I think they are terrific devices with a sonic character which is clearly tied to it's rich heritage.

IMAG0448.jpg

IMG_0287_zps6508a704.jpg

I have yet to use mine live, but it would definitely be just fine in terms of load speed. I have the latest update, and I use it in conjunction with my G system
-real simple application the way I use it-the g system floor unit is controlling the G and Eclipse.
-I have it set up for the basic programs I dig from the G...then different eclipse programs I have tweaked
-at home I am running a wet-dry-wet setup(pure heaven), but I would not do that live
-the delays and verbs are incredible...I also love using it for octave effect...
-even live, I would use it sparingly
for the programs I use, the time issue is not an issue-those big algorithm programs have a milisecond or two delay going on, but I can only imagine really using those in a studio setting, not live(at least for stuff I would play)
-I have the G, the eclipse, and a decimator pro rack unit all in a 4 space rack and the floor controller of the G is my midi controller. I already had the G...once I figured out how to make them jive, I liked what they both had to offer
total overkill for me, but **** ..the time based effects running in stereo have to be better than LSD or DMT

lesterpaul said:
I have yet to use mine live, but it would definitely be just fine in terms of load speed. I have the latest update, and I use it in conjunction with my G system
-real simple application the way I use it-the g system floor unit is controlling the G and Eclipse.
-I have it set up for the basic programs I dig from the G...then different eclipse programs I have tweaked
-at home I am running a wet-dry-wet setup(pure heaven), but I would not do that live
-the delays and verbs are incredible...I also love using it for octave effect...
-even live, I would use it sparingly
for the programs I use, the time issue is not an issue-those big algorithm programs have a milisecond or two delay going on, but I can only imagine really using those in a studio setting, not live(at least for stuff I would play)
-I have the G, the eclipse, and a decimator pro rack unit all in a 4 space rack and the floor controller of the G is my midi controller. I already had the G...once I figured out how to make them jive, I liked what they both had to offer
total overkill for me, but **** ..the time based effects running in stereo have to be better than LSD or DMT

OVERKILL FTW!!! :D

zachman said:
lesterpaul said:
hehe...I knew Zachman would understand 8) !!

:mrgreen:

Less= Less, NOT More...

I'm surprised there are so many that haven't figured that out yet. Just because one has a ton of stuff, doesn't mean it all needs to be ON ALL THE TIME. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2UaSb66aRo&list=FL09LHwVJGOmYixy9Pyt4xXw&index=174

spamjam2010pics007-2.jpg

Great comments on the gear guys, thanks!

less = less..nice!!! I can totally relate! I've ran multiple amp rigs in the past but always in the back of my mind, (for what I wanted to hear at least) I always found myself kickin' in the boogies when it really mattered most. Recently I've thought about getting another amp, but I know that even though it would sound AMAZING...it's just not me...it is not my sound. I guess it would be like signing your signature with your other hand. Yeah, that is your name and you did it, but it's not really you!

Z- great photo...hope you have good roadies that work for cheap!

TriAxis6 said:
zachman said:
lesterpaul said:
hehe...I knew Zachman would understand 8) !!

:mrgreen:

Less= Less, NOT More...

I'm surprised there are so many that haven't figured that out yet. Just because one has a ton of stuff, doesn't mean it all needs to be ON ALL THE TIME. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2UaSb66aRo&list=FL09LHwVJGOmYixy9Pyt4xXw&index=174

spamjam2010pics007-2.jpg

Great comments on the gear guys, thanks!

less = less..nice!!! I can totally relate! I've ran multiple amp rigs in the past but always in the back of my mind, (for what I wanted to hear at least) I always found myself kickin' in the boogies when it really mattered most. Recently I've thought about getting another amp, but I know that even though it would sound AMAZING...it's just not me...it is not my sound. I guess it would be like signing your signature with your other hand. Yeah, that is your name and you did it, but it's not really you!

Z- great photo...hope you have good roadies that work for cheap!

My assistant and I move the gear pretty easily, and I am usually the 1st one setup and ready, and the first one packed up and ready to unload. The only thing really heavy (200 lbs) is the rack, and it's on casters. Sometimes my assistant's daughter even helps out, and she LOVE'S to help.

CarlosandPhoebeB3setup3.jpg

CarlosandPhoebeB3setup.jpg

As far as sounds go-- I play a bunch of different kinds of gigs-- Live, studio, supportive hired gun, originals, tribute bands, and covers. Also various styles/genres. There are times when it isn't necessarily 'my' sound that the producer or artist is after, and when doing the tribute bands or covers-- it's the sound required for the song that may or may not be what I prefer, that I need to be able to dial in. For me, gear are tools. REALLY FUN tools.

As far as Boogie's go-- I got my 1st one (MKIIB combo w/ matching 1x12 cab) back in 1981. I got the MKIII Coliseum Simul-Class head that I still have, back in 1986 (New), and it is and has been my rock dog amp. IF I could only have one amp, it would be the Boogie MKIII Coli. I LOVE this thing! I have rented it to Akira Takasaki, Andy Summers, and a few others. KILLER amp!

:wink:

Latest posts

Back