Royal Atlantic: use onboard reverb or external pedal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
I was thinking about using some "Room" reverb in the FX loop of the Royal Atlantic and have it on all the time, just a little bit of reverb.
Would you recommend using the onboard reverb of the Royal Atlantic or getting an external pedal like the TC Hall of Fame?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HallOfFame

If I were you, I'd save my money for something that I really need and pass on buying the Hall Of Fame. For starters, you only list using it for "room" reverb. If that's the case, I'd go with the onboard 'verb of the RA-100. I used to have the Royal and thought the reverb on it was very, very good. I think I noticed that the 'verb was more prominent with more volume and gain dialed in (anything past 10:00 on the gain), regardless of the channel being played. Both channels sounded fantastic with the reverb of the amp, so to me it's a complete "no brainer."

If you want more flexibility and a few more 'verbs to choose from (especially for ambient-music styles), then get the TC Hall Of Fame. If you only need a good 'verb, just stick to the RA's offering.

Good luck. If you don't buy the 'verb pedal, you'll have money for another great pedal -- like a good compressor (which I think makes the RA-100 sound even more amazing).

awesome! I'll stick with the RA100's reverb then. Yup, I just want some room reverb, nothing crazy.

Now if you want to add a nice ambient reverb/delay to use in addition to the onboard reverb I'd look at the Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master. Works incredibly well with my ED and this is one pedal I will never part with... EVER!!

The onboard reverb is nice, however you must assign it to a channel, and it will always be on with that channel selection. The controls are on the back of the amp. If you're ok with that, you're all set. I wasn't, so I use a pedal. No biggie. I'm not a huge reverb user anyway.

I have a hall of fame in the loop and it sounds amazing!!
Richb

I really like the onboard verb, I have set to be subtle on the clean and blue channel (off on the red). I also have a strymon blue sky reverb which is pretty much the best reverb I've ever heard. TC's verbs are also pretty sweet (used to own a G-system).

Back